light brahma pullet or cockerel?

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Hi! We can't quite figure out the gender of this gigantic light brahma. S/he is super tall and larger than any chicken I've ever seen. S/he is really flighty, anti-social, but not aggressive. Does anyone know? I've looked online at photographs, but still can't quite figure it out. S/he doesn't make any sounds and is about four months old.

My 4-month-old light brahma pullet - look at the difference in comb/waddle development and feathering compared to your guy. I have heard that brahmas make good, calm roosters though I have no personal experience. Yours is one beautiful bird!

My 4-month-old light brahma pullet - look at the difference in comb/waddle development and feathering compared to your guy. I have heard that brahmas make good, calm roosters though I have no personal experience. Yours is one beautiful bird!
My Light Brahma is a friendly goof ball. Hops all over the place. Gets super excited for food. Will follow you anywhere if you have a treat. I think my supposed hen is a rooster. Friendly as can be. Loves people. He will wait by the porch gate to people watch.

Hi there!

I'd guess rooster because there appears to be saddle feathers just before the tail, which are thinner and pointy and only roosters have them. Also, there appears to be hackle feathers on the neck, which are also thin and pointy and only roosters have them. Your brahma also appears to be growing extra of the black tail feathers, and I'm guessing that will continue to be the tell-tail(haha tail) feathers that are long and curl over..

Hope this helps!

Thanks! This is super helpful. I was thinking rooster because of the tail feathers and longer neck feathers, too. I haven't had a rooster since I was a child and now out of thirteen chickens, we have (hopefully) only two roosters--this one and a gray silkie that crowed at me for the first time this morning (I couldn't get a repeat performance for the rest of my family). This brahma doesn't make any noise at all yet, although I'm guessing he (?) will soon since all the chicks are the same age.

Does anyone have experience keeping a bantam and regular size rooster? We have a large coop and run, but it's not huge. And I let the chickens out for the first time tonight in our enclosed yard and even though I kept an eye on them, our smallest silkie disappeared, so they're going to spend most of their time in a predator-proof coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom