Light Brahma roo or hen?

Timskins

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Surprise, Az
My Light Brahmas have grown much faster and are almost twice as large as the rest of my flock. For awhile I was wondering if they had some cornish genes in them. I think I figured out why after one has been making a very horrible attempt at crowing. :-( These are my first birds so I wasn't to sure what to look for in cockerels and it appears that Light Brahama's dont look like the typical cockerel as well making it more difficult. From looking around the web they dont appear to grow the large comb or tail feathers as most breeds do. Attached are a couple of pics of them what do you think boys or girls?

Cockerels usually want to start mating a pullet just before she's ready to lay, so chances are her first eggs will be fertile. You'll never know, though, as it takes quite the practiced eye to tell if an egg is fertilized or not. No difference in taste, smell, etc. It takes several days of an egg being around a hundred degrees for an embryo to start developing, so if you simply collect your eggs every day or even every other day you'll be fine. I've had roosters with my layer flock for 20 years and not once have I cracked an egg to a partially developed chick.

if you could get a good side shot of them it would help alot. Different breeds grow at different rates and not all breeds will end up the same size as other breeds once they are adults.

Age would help confirm but I'm 90% sure that's a rooster.

Brahmas do show rooster signs just like all other breeds, they just often do it slower. Pea combs can be harder to tell gender if you're used to straight combs, but they do get larger and redder. I'm pretty sure I see saddle feathers on this guy, but a profile shot would sure help.

Back
Top Bottom