Light Brown Leghorns

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by roosterlover897, Nov 4, 2014.

1. roosterlover897

roosterlover897 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2014
    I Have been fortunate enough to finally realize that RiR was acually a Brown Leghorn he is a beautiful breed and his 4 golden sex links cluck when he is not around them. My profile picture is him before he suffered pecking and molting so i hope he will look better soon

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

He is a handsome rooster!

3. roosterlover897

Nov 4, 2014
    im having problems with pecking and i need your opinion on if this is the right way to solve it i have a small dog cage about 3 by 4 if i put him in it will he die ive heard some chickens have to be with the flock

By the way I very much appreciate your responces and you might have just saved my rooster!!!

sorry i keep asking questions but i find chickens a very fun animal to have and i would like to expand my knowlage on chickens so one day i can teach others. Are leghors a very large breed, are they long lived, can leghorns and golden sex links mix and if so what would the hatchling look like, since leghorns are so large if the mate with the other hens will he hurt them? I thank you much for answering when i hav e been asking these questions since we got chickens this spring

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Is he a new rooster? If so, you can't just mix in new birds to a flock. It is best if you put the new bird in a cage for 3 or 4 weeks so everybody sees, nobody touches. After about a month, you can mix new birds in. If you have another rooster, they will no doubt fight. So you will need to either keep this new rooster separate or get him some hens and keep them all separate from this main flock.

If he is not new and just being picked on, give him a good overall exam to make sure he is not sick, has mites or lice, get him wormed and check for any injuries. The other flock members know when a bird is sick in their flock and will try to drive them off by attacking them.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

5. roosterlover897

Nov 4, 2014
    hate to say it but i'm only 12 i have a hard time keeping the rooster still even if i hold his legs so if it is a disease then i hope you can tell me what it looks like so i know what i'm looking for, we had a female leghorn and we got rid of her she was also getting pecked now the neighbors have her and she has recovered so i think that the two breeds were not ment to mix

these birds have been with each other since they were born and another question i have another leghorn walking around the yard he perches in the trees at night and is very smart do you have any ideas on how to catch this very smart bird

i dont think lice is the problem because he is getting pecked where he losses most his feathers where the tail meets the body,when the hens leave him alone feathers have attempted growing back but only to be broken again

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the BYC flock.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

9. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    Post this in injuries/diseases/cure people will know a little more there ;)

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by