Light bulb types for incubators?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So there are other threads but they don't talk about light bulb types in terms of how to find them at the store.

My homemade incubator's light bulb burned out. It was a normal light bulb but some type that got hot and very warm. The other light bulbs in the house don't project heat, and stay too cold to heat the incubator.

I wanted to ask how you tell which ones get hot when turned on when you are at the grocery store seeing all of them on the shelves? Especially this is important as the new bulb types tend to mostly be non-heat projecting types. (And to be clear, this is using the small normal household bulbs.)

So there are other threads but they don't talk about light bulb types in terms of how to find them at the store.

My homemade incubator's light bulb burned out. It was a normal light bulb but some type that got hot and very warm. The other light bulbs in the house don't project heat, and stay too cold to heat the incubator.

I wanted to ask how you tell which ones get hot when turned on when you are at the grocery store seeing all of them on the shelves? Especially this is important as the new bulb types tend to mostly be non-heat projecting types. (And to be clear, this is using the small normal household bulbs.)
This did not used to be a problem. Many of the early DIY incubators were made using regular light bulbs because the only type of light bulb available at the time was the incandescent bulb. With the advent of LED bulbs and the discontinuing of incandescent bulbs, it is now a problem.

If you live in one of the 3 states currently banning incandescent bulbs, you might be able to locate some online.

https://insights.regencylighting.com/was-there-actually-an-incandescent-light-bulb-ban

So u r saying I should basically be finding an incandescent bulb, and that those are the type that get hot?

I will have to try to find something today at the store. The bulb went out last night, after I'd already started the incubating process. I'm pretty sure waiting a few days would mean the eggs will become unusable right?

And I swear I'm cursed.

Only a day before the thermometer I'd got to put in the incubator from the store, brand new didn't work either. This is so frustrating that nothing freaking works...

Incadescent or halogen bulbs will get hot. I'd get the same amperage if it was working well.

Incandescent bulbs will get hot - it varies with the wattage but they can get hot enough to burn you. Try to match the wattage from your burned out bulb. This will usually be printed on the bulb.

Compact Fluorescent bulbs get warm.
LED's stay cool.

Use a appliance 40 watt light bulb it can handle warm humid conditions, it's the same as a oven light bulb. That's what I always use in my incubator. Always have backup bulbs on hand when incubating. If you have a home depot or local hardware store will have them.

Use a appliance 40 watt light bulb it can handle warm humid conditions, it's the same as a oven light bulb. That's what I always use in my incubator. Always have backup bulbs on hand when incubating.

Huh. I just went and got a “bulb”. Not sure what kind beyond it being 25 watt and I have two in a diy incubator.
I hope your bulb is incandescent, other bulb type won't produce enough heat.

Back
Top Bottom