light bulb went out in incubator, day 14

serprise

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
I put my mail order eggs in my incubator on the 4th and at some point last night the bulb went out. I put in a new bulb when I started these (first time ever using the homemade(any for that matter) incubator) so it sucks that it stopped working but luckily I bought a 2 pack so it's back up and running. Is it going to hurt them dropping down to room temperature? I dialed my bator in before putting any eggs in, it has bounced between 101.3-102.1 the entire process with humidity usually within tolerance, and when it isn't it's only off by a couple % then immediately corrected when noticed. I've been looking forward to hatch day and I'm a little worried that I may have hurt them. They have been developing well up to this point as far as I can tell. They're black copper marans and it's hard to candle their dark eggs but every once in a while I'd catch a good glimpse of the veins etc so the bator has been working great!

I find that rather than having just one socket with say, a 40 watt bulb, I use a splitter and put two 25 watt bulbs in. This is for insurance against the single bulb burning out.

The little "Y" adaptor is around $2.80 at Lowe's.

All you can do now is get the temps stable. It may shock a few eggs and you may have lowered your hatch rate a bit, but carry on. These thing often result in many chicks hatching.

brilliant idea, I plan on moving everything to a larger cooler anyway since this one is a little tight for a full dozen eggs. I'll incorporate something like that for sure

Back
Top Bottom