Light Columbian

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Abichi, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    F1 will be Black. F2 should be mostly Columbian. I'm no genetics expert but I'm fairly confident that's what you'll get.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Stuck In a Dream
    My Coop
    F1s will be Birchen looking just like Black Sex links hens look(black body with gold in breast and hackle), the males will also look birchen in type, There will be no F2 if those F1s are crossed back to Columbian(they are named BC1 as to Back Cross to parent line 1) 50% of those crosses will look Birchen type(just like the F1s and the ones with more silver leakage will be homozygous for Co/Co while being E/eb) and 50% will be Silver Columbian in Type.

Black Sex link hens are E/eWh, Co/co+, s+/-(your Pullets will be E/eb, Co/co+ S) So your pullets will be very similar but instead of gold they will have Silver/white leakage
    [​IMG]

3. Abichi

Abichi In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2018
    Wauw
    You guys are amazing.
    So silver columbia is the only option.

4. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I was totally wrong with the black. @nicalandia would crossing to white be worth a shot?

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    Stuck In a Dream
    My Coop
    It will depend on what the White is hiding, in silkies the white hides partridge, in white rocks is mostly barring and in Ameraucanas is black, recessive white can hide any pattern what determines what is hidding is usually what is the best/most popular pattern breeders are working on the specific breeds.

My Suggestion is to use black if it has better type than white.

6. Abichi

Abichi In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2018
    Thx again guys

7. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I didn't really help much but @nicalandia sure did. Hope all goes well with your breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: