Light Cycle in Brooder?

One night I had the lights off but there are windows in there and the sun set around 6. I usually turn the lights off at 8 or 9. They were not happy with the earlier bedtime and got really loud. They also don’t like abrupt darkness and complain loudly.
How long did they complain loudly? Chickens often don't like change but they are also typically pretty adaptable. I anticipate if you are consistent they will quickly get over it.

This is what I do! I have Wiz smart bulbs in the room with the brooder and I put them on the 30 minute sunset dimmer mode they tuck themselves in.

One night I had the lights off but there are windows in there and the sun set around 6. I usually turn the lights off at 8 or 9. They were not happy with the earlier bedtime and got really loud. They also don’t like abrupt darkness and complain loudly.

How long did they complain loudly? Chickens often don't like change but they are also typically pretty adaptable. I anticipate if you are consistent they will quickly get over it.
I think they meant it was a one-off occasion but I can certainly vouch for the fact about darkness upsets them a lot (I don't blame them though)! Using some dim lights or whatever if you don't have a dimmable bulb (like Christmas lights) worked great for me.

Interestingly on my last two hatches I used a light at night for the first week, I think I had greater success doing this. I understand the mother hen would not provide light but mother hen would make sure her chicks know where she is to sleep under her, as opposed to them not being able to "find" a heat plate. Not sure how legit this is but definitely was more successful this time around for me 😊

It is pretty common the first time the chicks are in pure dark for them to freak out, say they are moved from a brooder to the coop. But they soon get over it and go to sleep, say 5 to 15 minutes. The second time it happens they are a lot less concerned. Very soon that is just the way it is, they adapted.

Back
Top Bottom