Light for coop at night During the summer.

Devils Flower

Songster
Mar 20, 2021
Area 51
I would really like to put a light in my chicken coop but I'm not sure what type to use or if there is any light that will not attract mosquitoes. It's not for heat. Don't need that this time of year. I have tried a red light đź’ˇbut the chickens were brutally attacked by mosquitoes and them so called yellow bug light đź’ˇdon't work. They probably keep the chickens awake and invite unwanted bugs. I like seeing my chickens when I look out my window but I only can do that when it's winter time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Why do you need a light in the coop at night? Chickens, like most animals, benefit from total darkness at night in order to rest.

If you just want to look in on them at night, invest in a coop cam.

Why do you need a light in the coop at night? Chickens, like most animals, benefit from total darkness at night in order to rest.

If you just want to look in on them at night, invest in a coop cam.
It's not a need really. It's a want. It's just a enjoyable thing for me. When I tried the light the first time I could sit on my porch or in the yard and watch them sleep. I'm not worried about predators at all. It just makes me happy to see my chickens at all times of the day. Thanks for your response. I'm sure I will figure it out.

:welcome :frow I have night lights in all of my coops. They are 1 watt sign bulbs that give off equivalent to 11 watts. It's hard to tell the lights are there but in about the middle of the picture you can see the lights from the outer coops. On the right side is from my trailer which looks like they are on but that's the way it looks to the camera.
DSCF000199 03.jpg

This is looking from the other direction.
DSCF000272 01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom