light for winter = more eggs?

Casey207908

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Anyone recommend a setup for a light on a timer? I have 9 layers and with less daylight i am only getting about 3 eggs a day. How much daylight do they need to reach full laying potential?

I actually let my hens tapper off thier laying, and let them get to almost no eggs. I think it is healthier to let them have a break. Also, they often molt about this time of year, and when they molt they often stop laying.

About January they start to pick up laying again.

There is no evidence to support claims of it being healthier to let chickens have the winter off. My chickens seem to lay when they have 14-15 hours of light. Some laying at 12-13 hours but its reduced with the year old hens.

I have heard and read the same. 15 hours a day is what they need to keep the cycle going. I installed a light last weekend and will be hooking it up to a timer tonight. I'm going to let it stay on from about 5:30pm-9pm. Some people do it in the morning but i think extending the day is better at the end of the day since it matches how long summer days are.

There is no good answer to this question! It all depends on individual. I'm personally raising chickens for eggs, so I do want to have some eggs during the winter if I can. I do love them, but they are not my pets! In a few years if their eggs production is getting lower and lower, then I will replace them with new chickens!!

I setup the light in the coop from 6 am to 9 am then 6pm to 9 pm. I have 8 chickens and so far I only get 4 eggs a day. I think only 5 of them are mature. No complaint since I don't need to worry about the extra eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom