Light in Coop?

Shrader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I thought I read somewhere that during the winter some people put a light in their coop for a few hours -- and this stimulates egg production. Am I nuts? Anyone else hear this -- or do it? Thanks.

A light can help. It's best to put it on a timer to come on before daybreak and go off after the sun is up - extend the daylight to about 14 hours.

Wait until before daybreak to have it turn on rather than leaving it on at night - that way they will all come to the coop as usual and go to bed as normal when the sun goes down - they'll just get up a bit earlier.

I was just told today that the string of x-mas lights in my coop is probably what has kept mine laying all winter. I have it on a timer and it goes off at 9. I use it so they can have a little more time to get settled in.

I have a heat lamp with a light on only because it is very cold here, but also to try and help with egg production(not working). I leave that on all night is this the wrong thing to do? What type of heat should I give to them, I assume that egg production slows in the winter, and sometimes even stops in the winter is this true?

So that a hen's body can get a break from egg laying in the winter, I don't light at night (ceramic heat lamp for heat, but no light). Still get an egg now and then anyway. They'll pick up the action in the spring, likely healthier from having had the naturally shorter days in winter........
I do have a full spectrum light on in the daytime to cheer things up on gloomy winter days.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom