Light in Coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shrader, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought I read somewhere that during the winter some people put a light in their coop for a few hours -- and this stimulates egg production. Am I nuts? Anyone else hear this -- or do it? Thanks.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    A light can help. It's best to put it on a timer to come on before daybreak and go off after the sun is up - extend the daylight to about 14 hours.

Wait until before daybreak to have it turn on rather than leaving it on at night - that way they will all come to the coop as usual and go to bed as normal when the sun goes down - they'll just get up a bit earlier.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I was just told today that the string of x-mas lights in my coop is probably what has kept mine laying all winter. I have it on a timer and it goes off at 9. I use it so they can have a little more time to get settled in.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    We have a light on a timer. goes on at 4 am and off at 7--when it gets light. I have 6 hens. I am getting 4 eggs a day compared to 5-6 during the summer.

5. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I have a heat lamp with a light on only because it is very cold here, but also to try and help with egg production(not working). I leave that on all night is this the wrong thing to do? What type of heat should I give to them, I assume that egg production slows in the winter, and sometimes even stops in the winter is this true?

6. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Just 12 hours of light is enough for good winter egg production.

spot

7. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  9. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    where do you get these light timers at?

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So that a hen's body can get a break from egg laying in the winter, I don't light at night (ceramic heat lamp for heat, but no light). Still get an egg now and then anyway. They'll pick up the action in the spring, likely healthier from having had the naturally shorter days in winter........
    I do have a full spectrum light on in the daytime to cheer things up on gloomy winter days.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by