light in coop?

lisamarie

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 12, 2008
northern california
hi all, i'd like my chickens to continue to lay over the winter. wondering when i should start using light in coop and how long i keep it on for during day/night?
thanks!
lisa

I can tell you what we plan on doing: After the time change at the end of october, we will have a light on for them for 5 am until 8 pm. They need 12-14 hours of light to continue to be good layers. So, we are going with a light to keep the eggs coming. We go through too many to have them stop.

I leave a light on in the coop 24/7..I'm just not avail to turn on & off every day. The coop is large enough that heat doesn't seem to be a problem. Is there any problem with this? donna

Hey DonnaIL, you might try picking up a timer at a hardware store. I don't think they cost much, at most $20, and then you could have the light timed to go off at night and on again in the morning. I think having the light on all the time might stress the chickens out, or wear them down. Plus, you'll save on the cost of electricity if you have a timer.

Originally when the girls were small I left a light on 24/7. Later, I put a timer on so it would go on about 5am.and off at 8am. The timer died so I left the light off for awhile. I thought because it was summertime and the days were at their longest, no light wouldn't affect them, but their egg production did go down a little. I have a small light on again 24/7 and it doesn't seem to affect their laying habbits. They seem to lay better with the light on. I do have a red heat lamp i use in their coop in the winter. I had that on a timer to, so it would go on in the evenings and off in the mornings. They would be in their yard most of the time during the day.

Back
Top Bottom