light of spring

ivan3

spurredon
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
BOCOMO
O.K., hang on - friends in the Northeast! The sunlight here at 38°.N/91°.W is now beginning to cause the insulators on the power lines to glow in the sunset, the toms to become frisky, and the lilacs to bud; fifteen days of formal misery left! Of course, this warranted an armed patrol to search out and munch early worms and whatnot.

030507vernal.jpg

Last edited:
Are the two front toms slates? If so, yours are so much lighter than mine! They are very pretty! Mine have many more black spots and they are a darker grey color.

Brrrr...I just came in from two hours outside in the dark. It's supposed to go down to -18 tomorrow and I needed to bring all the outside pigeons into inside cages. I'm still warming up and I've been inside for an hour!

Yes, I think they're supposed to be `self blues', and the hen in the background is `splash' (lot's of black markings). Our neighbor wants to borrow one of the toms (only has hens) for mating, but I kinda warned her off it owing to the fact both of the big guys have very poor eyesight that is probably genetic in origin. They are pretty ghostly looking guys. Sorry to hear you're still getting dosed with the ice (I finally gave up the long underwear yesterday). How many Slates do you have?

Thank's for posting the pic. Beautiful sight and beautiful turkey's. I have a Bourbon Red and a Broad Breasted Bronze. (hen's).
I have to keep in mind that spring is right around the corner despite below 0 temp's last night. Saturday is supposed to warm up to 40's here in midwest.

Ahhh....Cant wait for the lilac's to begin budding out, that's a sure sign of spring!

Yes, another turkey person! Hi! Hope you get to thaw out soon! If you can, post some pics of your guys and girls over in the Other Poultry subject line (not a lot of us over there yet). We started with a BBB tom (friendliest turkey ever), but spradle leg got him. Are you breeding your Bourbon and BBB girls?

Take care,

John

BOCOMO, nice looking turkeys. Send some of that spring weather our way. We had -8f last night and more cold for a couple days.

bigzio

John,
No I'm not breeding the hen's. I have no Tom's left. The Hawk got 2 of my B.R Tom's when they were about 4 month's or so old, and lost another to a drowning in a small pond. Eventually would like to order more turkey's when time is right.

I do have pic's of the girl's I would like to post soon over at the other poultry sight. So stayed tuned, Im still in the learning process of how to post pic's on here. I finally got some pic's of my chick's on photobucket, so the next step is taking the time to put them on this site.

Thank's

John,
No I'm not breeding the hen's.

Read/post/run - kick myself later!!

Beau Fleur, I read your note and immediately associated Bourbon Red/BBB hen with what happened to our neighbors last spring: They went to St. Louis for a day trip. On their return they found their BBB hen (that was setting eggs) with her head torn off (later determined to be a fox attack), and the Bourbon tom (about 5 yr. old and HUGE) simply vanished off the face of the earth - not so much as a feather was found (we guess a two legged predator struck the same day).

Hope you have better luck with any new jakes, and keep those girls safe!

P.S. daylillies at two inches!​

Back
Top Bottom