Light on chicks

OneLostHen

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Houston TX
Hi all! I am getting quail chicks this evening finally!!! Yay!!
Had some questions though, I tried to find answers to some, but had little luck.
I have a heat lamp and bulb for them, but do I leave it on over night as well? It's not a red light but a regular white light. Will they not be bothered?
I also have a 26% game bird food in crumbles, is that fine to feed them at a young age?
I'm aware of making the water real shallow and putting marbles in it so they dont get wet, should I use a vitamin in the water or will they be fine?
I've raised numerous pullets, but nothing this small and delicate looking!
I can't wait!

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a white light on them and it's been on for 48 hours so far. I also put a little bit of apple cider vinegar "with mother" in their water and they seem to like it. Be sure to grind up the crumbles very small so the chicks can eat it.

Congrats on the hatch! This is my first hatch too.

We'll I have my babies! All 19 of them. Let me tell you, I'm a nervous wreck!!!
I have a 100 watt bulb for them.
None are visibly shaking, are they cold? They are all on the heat side but not what I would call huddled up....
Also, while sleeping, they suddenly leap in the air then fall back asleep. I'm confused!!
One I call Zombie, closes it's eyes and walks around with it head way up in the air. It's not doing it so much now. But sure was strange looking!
Thanks for answering my questions! I feel like a broody hen

They were all fine this morning!! But now I can not wait to get back home to check on them. I've never been so paranoid!!! I really hope they are ok. I left them with two dishes of food and two dishes of water. Hopefully that's enough.
I still can't get over how they shoot out from their slumber like a bottle rocket! Or how Zombie seemed to be sleep walking!
Crazy critters are quail!

Back
Top Bottom