1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christa7032, Oct 12, 2009.

1. christa7032

christa7032 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    I keep reading about chickens needing 14 hours of light a day to lay. Does this mean they stop laying completely when the days get shorter? or do they just slow down? I haven't added a light to my coop yet and my girls are about 23 weeks and I haven't seen an egg yet. If I don't add a light will they not lay until next spring? Also is it possible to add a timer to a solar light? or only the lights you wire or plug in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still getting eggs out of my Reds and SLWs without using lights.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It really depends on the breed and the individual chicken as to whether they will slow down or stop completely during the shorter days of winter.
    Being that this is your girls first winter, I would suspect that you will get your first eggs before spring, unless they are completely in the dark for long periods each day.
    I'm no electrician, but I don't think you can wire a solar light to shut off and on.
    I don't add light, but hope I have helped a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by