Light sussex boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    We have two light sussex chickens we hatched, just can't tell if they are boys or girls, there is only 2 of them, they are 21 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there is a photo of both of them together, one has a small wattle than the other, they are the same size.
    Thanks.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Looks pretty girly to me!! [​IMG]

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Roo I see sadle feathers,the tail feathers look to be curved down ward as well.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Look roo to me. The hackle, neck, feathers look pointed. Hens will be rounded. Also as noted saddle feathers are showing on one. Tails are starting to grow out too.

Actually amazed that neither has crowed yet being that old. Do you have an old rooster around? Older roosters keep cockerels quite.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  5. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    There are 2 other roosters in the pen, 2 brothers that are silver spangled hamburgs, and they are very noisy, they are going to new this weekend, I thought that they might be keeping them quite as we had an Australorp rooster and as soon as he went to a new home the hamburgs started crowing, that would make sense, I am thinking maybe both are roosters as their neck feathers look the same and on their back the feathers are starting to part near their tails, there are some curved feathers in their tails, they are my sons, so he will be peeved as he wanted a hen, we can't keep the roosters. Thank you for your help.[​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    cockerals [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by