Light Sussex brooding

Tillyschickens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
I recently purchased an incubater as I was unsure that my 9 month old light Sussex bantam was going to go broody this year. (I have 2 bantams a male and female and 4 hybrids) anyway I am on day 12 of 7 eggs in incubation when my Sussex is suddenly sitting on her own and my other chickens eggs. She's very protective of them and has been sitting on them all day and night. Does anyone know how many chicks a bantam can hatch as she seems to want as many eggs as she can get. Im planning on moving her into her own pen to sit on them as she's attacking my other chickens. She also hasn't been to eat or drink for the two days she's been on them is this normal? Is it likely for her to sit for the whole 21 days now or is she too young?

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_122230989.jpg
    IMG_20210329_122230989.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210329_122220854.jpg
    IMG_20210329_122220854.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 10
I would separate her like you were saying and then put some food and water right where she can get them. That way she doesn't leave teh nest. I don't know much about broody bantams, but whenever my hens went broody I just let them sit.

I recently purchased an incubater as I was unsure that my 9 month old light Sussex bantam was going to go broody this year. (I have 2 bantams a male and female and 4 hybrids) anyway I am on day 12 of 7 eggs in incubation when my Sussex is suddenly sitting on her own and my other chickens eggs. She's very protective of them and has been sitting on them all day and night. Does anyone know how many chicks a bantam can hatch as she seems to want as many eggs as she can get. Im planning on moving her into her own pen to sit on them as she's attacking my other chickens. She also hasn't been to eat or drink for the two days she's been on them is this normal? Is it likely for her to sit for the whole 21 days now or is she too young?
Oh ok I just want to learn as much as I can so they will be happy

Back
Top Bottom