Light Sussex or Columbian Wyandotte

Dutchess

Songster
11 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Maine ~ 4 chicken years
About a month ago I purchased 7 pullets. They were supposedly almost ready to lay, none of which have. When I purchased them it was a mix of different breeds (I think she purchased the 25 brown egg layers). One of the chickens is all white with a black colored hackle and a little dab of black on her tail feathers. She's a BIG girl, out weighs my Wyandottes and towers over them. She said it was a Columbian Wyandotte. Well, it looks like a columbian wyandotte, but her comb (which is still small) doesn't look like a rose comb, it looks like the comb on my red star.
After looking at the breed pics, I think she could be a Light Sussex.?? Does anyone have any other ideas? What do you think she is. I will post a picture when I can, I know it's hard with just a description, but in the meantime any ideas?

Hi Chris,
Her legs are white. Does that make a difference? I know it did when she (the girl that sold them) said I had Barred Rocks when in fact they are Cuckoo Marans (white legs vs. yellow). I just can't get over how much bigger she is than the others that are standard size birds.
I will try to post a pic tomorrow, I can't post from where I'm at right now.
Thank you for your reply!
Kim

Quote:
the sussex has a white leg, the wyandotte has a yellow leg.

X2
Also if she had Yellow with the Single Comb she could have been a Plymouth Rock.

Chris

Thank you Sjarvis, I thought so. I will post a pic and maybe you can tell me if she is a he? She just TOWERS over everyone else. And her upper legs and shanks are huge, but his/her comb is small (20 weeks old).

Quote:

X2
Also if she had Yellow with the Single Comb she could have been a Plymouth Rock.

Chris

thats always possible, but I have known a great number of folks that have used Columbian Rock with the Columbian wyadotte to help leg color, pattern, size, etc. and introduce the genetic possibility of teh recessive single comb popping back up. Ours had some cochin added to add some width and feather underdown several generations back and we still get a single comb on occassion.

Quote:

thank you to all for the replies!!! I was mistaken, by the way. My chicken in question has pale yellow legs with a straight comb. Just these last few days her comb has grown.

I'll probably just chalk it up to muttville. She's obviously a mutt.
roll.png
Not that it matters, I don't show chickens anyway!
big_smile.png
Still trying to find time to take a picture and post it!

Thanks again to all!

Quote:

thank you to all for the replies!!! I was mistaken, by the way. My chicken in question has pale yellow legs with a straight comb. Just these last few days her comb has grown.

I'll probably just chalk it up to muttville. She's obviously a mutt.
roll.png
Not that it matters, I don't show chickens anyway!
big_smile.png
Still trying to find time to take a picture and post it!

Thanks again to all!

Just because she is single combed does not make her a mutt, most lines of wyandotte will produce a single comb on occassion due the back ground of teh wyandotte breed or outcrosses used for size, type, color, or feather improvement. We hatch 5-10 single combs a year out of ours and often give them away as layers. They are still good birds just not the candidate for breeding a good rosecombed bird.

Back
Top Bottom