Light weight and durable chicken tractor

PandaGirl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Hey, so I am trying to build a chicken tractor for my laying hens. It will be only a coop, no run because I want to be able to move then around and just put a temporary fence where they are going to be grazing. I have to many hens too make a coop and run, it would be huge. Never the less I am looking find something that can act as a roof, and cover the sides. I am looking for something light weight yet will last for a few years. Are there any suggestion? Also, I know this is really limiting but it needs to be cheap. Thanks!

Also, I know this is really limiting but it needs to be cheap.
What's your budget?
How many birds?

Would also help to know....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615380840845.png

Echoing, @3KillerBs , Lumber prices being what they are, even a full price cattle panel looks attractive right now. Big costs then become whatever tarp or roof material you plan to place over it for weather shelter, and your hardware cloth for predator protection. Hoop coops are basically the lightest you can construct for the size, which helps with mobility.

Will hold off on further comments till you respond to @aart 's questions.

ya, so I live in St. Louis and weather is totally unpredictable. Nether of the pics you posted is what I am looking for, although they are close, but this is more like it. I have 15 chickens but they will be able to free range and so a 8 by 6 coop will do fine, giving them about 3 square feet per bird at night + roosting space and nesting boxes. I already have the structure down, I just need something to act as a roof. I would not be that big a deal, except that these are my layers and so this needs to last for a while. My budget is extremely small but if you give suggestions and I will try to maybe find them second hand!

Attachments

• 1615417157956.png
    1615417157956.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
ya, so I live in St. Louis and weather is totally unpredictable. Nether of the pics you posted is what I am looking for, although they are close, but this is more like it. I have 15 chickens but they will be able to free range and so a 8 by 6 coop will do fine, giving them about 3 square feet per bird at night + roosting space and nesting boxes. I already have the structure down, I just need something to act as a roof. I would not be that big a deal, except that these are my layers and so this needs to last for a while. My budget is extremely small but if you give suggestions and I will try to maybe find them second hand!

Is the picture your current set up or what you are wanting to achieve?

My vote is also for a cattle panel coop. With just 2 panels you could make an 8x8. For weather protection I have seen several in the coop section that use metal roofing.

These are my meat bird tractors. They are not snow load worthy for the North East winters so I just take the tarp roofs off when the meaties are done. I have used landscape fabric above and below a normal poly tarp to protect from the metal and the sun. The plastic pipe on the bottom gives the tractors good sliding. They are about all one person can move. Made with two cattle panels cut in half length wise and pegged into the plastic pipe. Then chicken wire zip tied on. The roof is a chain link panel from an old dog kennel, just set on top and twist wired on. DSCN6694.JPG

This is my main hen coop made from 2 cattle panels hooped for the roof and one each on front and back. This coop is 99.9% (dare I say 100%) predator proof but there is absolutely no way to move it on a regular basis. I used to move it semi-annually and then gave-up on that, raised the coop up and built a mesh floor. Main frame is welded together but chicken wire is zip tied on.

DSCN5951.JPG

The roof material is used indoor/outdoor low pile carpet. We rolled on roofing tar for waterproofing. It is due for another coat but it has been years. This has worked really well for us but now I am looking for more carpet for more coops! Roofing is held on with zip ties.

DSCN5952.JPG

When it comes to building custom coops the more ideas you can gather will allow you to find what works for your materials and situation. Happy Building!

Back
Top Bottom