Light

RickMcD

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
As a first year chicken dude, I have a question...........well really alot of questions. What watt should my electric light be? How long should I run it? Thanks!

I am fairly new to this too, but from what I have learned on here, the light needs to be bright enough to read a newspaper. I interpreted that to mean between 40 and 60 watts. It is also best to light the coop in the morning, so I have ours on a timer to come on at 5:30. This gives them about 2 extra hours of light, and then they come out in the run when I let the ramp down once it is light outside. Lighting in the morning doesn't stress them out the way lighting at night and then plunging them into darkness does.

I like the energy efficient 13w cool white bulb. Equivalent lumen to 60 or 70W incandecent and provides most of sun spectrum. We use outdoor multi-timer to turn on at 5:30, off at 8 am and as daylight dwindles more in winter turns on again at 3 and off at 5:30 pm. Our girls hang out in run or range all day so put themselves to roost at dusk with the light on and it simply turns off so they sleep.

Outdoor-rated 75-90-watt lamp set on a timer for 4:30 AM to 7:30 AM or so. If you wanna do it nice, also give 'em some indoor-outdoor miniature Christmas lights that are hooked up to the timer using a multi-connector..

Do it in the morning.
smile.png
Don't mess with them going to roost in the evening..

Agree that the light should be strong enough that a young person can read a newspaper in there. (Us over-45''s need actual sun to read
lol.png
lol.png
)

Back
Top Bottom