Light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RickMcD, Oct 20, 2011.

1. RickMcD

RickMcD New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    As a first year chicken dude, I have a question...........well really alot of questions. What watt should my electric light be? How long should I run it? Thanks!

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I am fairly new to this too, but from what I have learned on here, the light needs to be bright enough to read a newspaper. I interpreted that to mean between 40 and 60 watts. It is also best to light the coop in the morning, so I have ours on a timer to come on at 5:30. This gives them about 2 extra hours of light, and then they come out in the run when I let the ramp down once it is light outside. Lighting in the morning doesn't stress them out the way lighting at night and then plunging them into darkness does.

3. RickMcD

RickMcD New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    Sounds like a plan. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I like the energy efficient 13w cool white bulb. Equivalent lumen to 60 or 70W incandecent and provides most of sun spectrum. We use outdoor multi-timer to turn on at 5:30, off at 8 am and as daylight dwindles more in winter turns on again at 3 and off at 5:30 pm. Our girls hang out in run or range all day so put themselves to roost at dusk with the light on and it simply turns off so they sleep.

5. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Outdoor-rated 75-90-watt lamp set on a timer for 4:30 AM to 7:30 AM or so. If you wanna do it nice, also give 'em some indoor-outdoor miniature Christmas lights that are hooked up to the timer using a multi-connector..

Do it in the morning. [​IMG] Don't mess with them going to roost in the evening..

Agree that the light should be strong enough that a young person can read a newspaper in there. (Us over-45''s need actual sun to read [​IMG][​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by