Lighting for indoor chickens

Iditarod

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Colorado
Hello I am new to chickens but not to birds :eek:) I love my 2 babies 1-Black sex link and 1 Lavendar orpinton. Recently we were informed that they will be doing heavy construction near our home and we will need to keep our 1 month old chickens in doors for up to 3 months because of the noise and lots of dust, right now they are still in a large brooding box with a heat plate. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as the best lighting to use since they will be in a room with very filtered sunlight. Any advice would be great. I purchased them a big cage to house them in but I am just worried about the lack of UVA/UVB and full spectrum light from the sun. I had parrots for a large majority of my life so I know the importance of the daylight. Hope everyone is having a great day :eek:)

Hello I am new to chickens but not to birds :eek:) I love my 2 babies 1-Black sex link and 1 Lavendar orpinton. Recently we were informed that they will be doing heavy construction near our home and we will need to keep our 1 month old chickens in doors for up to 3 months because of the noise and lots of dust, right now they are still in a large brooding box with a heat plate. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as the best lighting to use since they will be in a room with very filtered sunlight. Any advice would be great. I purchased them a big cage to house them in but I am just worried about the lack of UVA/UVB and full spectrum light from the sun. I had parrots for a large majority of my life so I know the importance of the daylight. Hope everyone is having a great day :eek:)
Egg Basket.jpg

It does not matter much what type of light you use in the room. They will not need the brooder plate soon.

I would use a white to yellow colored led light for them and leave it on for 14 hours a day

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately "no" they are painting and putting tar on road and just a mess haha That is why the only safe place for my girls is the basement. Again only for a few months. It will be a pain keeping it clean but I built a coop and small run in basement for them haha friends think I'm crazy but they are my pets and I would do anything I can to keep them safe. No different than a dog or cat haha thanks again

They are actually very different from a dog or cat.
I've never heard of a road project lasting for months in the area of just one home to the point where tar fumes were prevalent the entire time. Sounds like a huge undertaking. I'm hopeful you will be able to get them out into fresh air and sunshine much much sooner than months. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom