1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lighting in coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledegg, Sep 18, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Will hens in their first year of laying require extra light in the coop to continue production? I have 2 hens who just started a couple weeks ago and 3 who I expect to begin laying sometime in November. Should I supplement their coop with light or will they continue to lay eggs their first winter? Will my little ones even begin to lay without supplemental lighting?

Also, is there such a thing as a battery operated light with a timer? lol! I don't think DH would be thrilled about running electricity out into the coop. We have a solar light out there now (was already in there when I bought it) but it's not on a timer and with the lack of sun here in the lovely PNW in the winter, it won't work...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I like electric in the coop but right now it's just an extension cord. I'm trying to get real power run before winter.

Yes, a light helps. Just enough light at roost height to barely read a newspaper by.

Strive for 10-12 hours including daylight. An eastern window at roost height helps.
    One of those solar lights that comes on at dusk should pick up enough power to burn a couple hours which would help.

More importantly is power to keep the water from freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by