lighting in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bugkiller, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I am picking up my first chickens on the weekend. now i am trying to decide if i want to supliment light. The chickens i am getting are 7 mths old (barred Rock) and laying well. At first i was going to let nature take its course and not add light. But not sure now. If i do decide to add light will any type of bulb work to keep them laying well or does it need to be a uv light?? If i dont add light will they just slow down egg production or will they stop all together.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Any light is OK, doesn't need to be very bright. Some people have used Xmas lights, rope lights, I use a 13w CFL.
    You may not need to add light the first year. Sometimes good layers like BR will lay without the extra light, but nothing is guaranteed with chickens.

Good luck,

Imp

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They may slow down anyway from being moved to a new location.

We moved a month ago and mine are just now starting to lay again.

You can use any type of light that you want.

I do not add extra light and I still have a few laying.

The rest are molting or taking a break.

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I tried supplemental lighting in the morning for my girls and they responded by going to bed at 4 in the afternoon! I took out the light and now they are going back to bed at a normal time, and production has picked up. It's like they were saying OK we'll lay more eggs - just don't turn on that light!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by