LIghting question for winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6mutts, Oct 9, 2008.

1. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    Thinking of lighting in the coop for winter. WE have a very small tractor that we use as a coop. Could I use a 18" flourescent bulb (like the ones for lizards and aquariums) . If so, just regular bulb or UV blulb---ughhh so expensive. I am soooo concerned about a fire in this tiny area, which is why I thought of the flourescent lighting because of the little heat geneerated bby it. Also, how will an extention cord hold up running from the house to the coop(about 20 ft) in snow and cold weather?

2. too much fun

too much fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Happy Valley, Utah
    I'm using a very small 7 watt bulb, not much heat and just enough light to get them up and going. Make sure you are using a "good" cord and you keep the ends dry.

3. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    Quote:the end inside the coop shouldn't be hard to keep dry, but the other end is a little tricky...how would it stay dry if put in an outlet outside? and I don't think I could run it inside any way.

4. too much fun

too much fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Happy Valley, Utah
    they make weather proof outlet covers that close and let you run the cord out the bottom of the cover. As a matter of fact that is what is required by code now for all outdoor outlets so they should be availiable anywhere you would find elec. parts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by