Lighting the Coop with a Rooster

cheeptrick

Songster
12 Years
May 1, 2007
New Hampshire
I have only been getting 1 egg a day out of 10 hens sadly and I'm going to have to resort to buying if things do not pick up soon. All my girls are molting....but it appears they are coming out of it.....because the nakedness is less and less everyday.
WELL....my sweet Cuckoo Maran roo is in the coop with them.....and if I light it will he crow MORE? I hear him all night long anyway.....it is no bother for anyone. Is it ok if I put the lights on him too??

If your birds are coming out of a molt the light will not help. They need to rejuvenate and start up in a natural pattern otherwise you are going to have hens that burn out fast and there won't be any eggs until you can replace them with point of lay pullets. Light for a couple hours in the early mornings helps with winter laying but it won't magically start up your hens now.

Chickens lay on average 240 - 260 eggs a year. Some production breeds can lay 285+. That leaves a lot of natural down time for the hens which they need.

He will crow when he crows. If the light comes on early and he thinks it is the sun, yes, he will start crowing.

I've got another batch of EE's just coming into maturity....so eggs are coming. My older flock/hens are the one who are taking their break. It has been almost 3 months now that I've been getting 1 egg a day from my 2 year old girls...

My Roo doesn't crow ALL night....but I do hear him occassionally. He is not as obnoxious as I thought! He's my first!! Started crowing about 3 months ago.....HEY.....I just realized that when he started crowing is WHEN the girls slowed on the laying!! Maybe he isn't good enough for them!!

Thanks for replying!!
smile.png

Last edited:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I JUST noticed that...MAN it's been one of those days!! LOL

I'm going to leave it...

BUT I'll correct myself.... CAN you light the Coop WHEN you have a Rooster!!

Back
Top Bottom