lighting

usmcpilot06

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
I live in Indiana way out in the boonies. When it is dark it is dark there are no street lights way out here. The farmer down the road was telling me that adult chickens can not see all that well so it is nice to keep a light on in the coop so they cac see what the are doing....

I live in Indiana way out in the boonies. When it is dark it is dark there are no street lights way out here. The farmer down the road was telling me that adult chickens can not see all that well so it is nice to keep a light on in the coop so they cac see what the are doing....
:welcome Is he talking about at night? They really don't need to see at night when they're sleeping. They don't need a light during the day.

Sometimes baby chicks will not find their way into the coop at sundown because they don't want to go into the dark. I had to leave a regular light bulb on for them until they were about 4 weeks old and knew they should go back in the coop to sleep. Now I have removed the bulb light. I do have a very small home "nightlight" in there, but it's for me, not them! I like to do "surprise bed checks" on occasion just to see if they are all there, are they roosting, etc. We are in the boonies too and have no lights. We also put some solar motion sensor lights on the coop and nearby shed where the food it kept. If those lights go on during the night, it's a predator! :frow

Back
Top Bottom