Lightly speckled egg vs. completely brown egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beka123, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I got 3 barred rock pullets a few days ago, the man said some of the girls had already started laying (but he didn't know which ones) and I was lucky enough to get one that was laying! She laid an egg the first day she was here (around 3 pm). It was brown and completely covered in tiny white speckles, and the second day at the same time I got another egg that looked exactly the same. Yesterday I didn't get one, but today I got one between 9-11 that was all brown with no speckles and slightly smaller than the other 2. Could these three eggs be from the same hen or has another of my girls started laying? This is my first time to own chickens and I'd heard that hens lay the same color of eggs forever, varying slightly in shade, but I don't know if the color can vary from speckled to non still from the same girl? Thanks!

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Most likely another chicken laid that third egg.

Do you have pictures of the hens and the eggs?

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Until my hens got into full swing, the size and appearance of their eggs varied a lot. Now that they've settled down a bit, the eggs are more uniform. I have one barred rock that still likes to put out a speckled egg once in a while.

4. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Thank you for your replies! Yesterday I was unsure bc I never got a speckled egg the whole day, but today at noon I was pleasantly surprised by two eggs, one speckled and one smaller and all brown! Yay, I'm so excited another one started laying! No I have no pics of the girls, but I have a pic of my daughter holding our first egg... :)

5. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, let's see it! I love egg pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by