1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights in the coop? Need Some Help With This!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenhead, Oct 10, 2009.

1. greenhead

greenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    what kind of lights are you suppossed to use?? how long so you keep the lights on?

2. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    This is our first year with chickens so I was unsure about the lights, but I always talk to this chicken farmer at the Farmers Market when I have questions. According to him, a compact fluorescent bulb that is equal to a 60 watt is fine (that's what we are using). He told me to look at a sunset calendar online and then count back 13 hours from sunset and have the light go on at that time. Then, in a month or so, we will up that to 15 hours before sunset. Once the sun is fully up (he said 8:30am), the light can go off. So we set a timer that has the light turning on at 5:15am right now and going off at 8:30am. Hope this helps. Some other folks might know better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by