Lights in the coop question???

I have RIR pullets that will be 24 weeks old tomorrow (I think-haven't counted back today but I think that's it) and 10 of 12 for sure are laying (first flock so I can't quite figure out layers but I got 10 eggs today so at least 10 of them are). I use a 48" LED daylight (5000k) shop light :) So seems to be working!

I also like that their molt isn't as severe. We had a really good cold snap with the Arctic stream last week and I only see a few feathers here or there, rather than bald birds (note- no electricity in the coop long story but got a 12 gauge extension cord out there so no way to heat it and light it at the same time would overload circuit). Definitely going to keep on the supplemental lighting :)

My question is does the type of light matter? I currently put in an LED bulb in hopes of conserving some energy. Does the light need to be incandescent or fluorescent to work?
Should be fine, as long as it's 'bright enough to read a newspaper at roost level'....and timer is set correctly to be consistent.
How old are your birds?
When did you start light?

I also like that their molt isn't as severe.
Newly laying pullets won't molt their first fall.

I have RIR pullets that will be 24 weeks old tomorrow (I think-haven't counted back today but I think that's it) and 10 of 12 for sure are laying (first flock so I can't quite figure out layers but I got 10 eggs today so at least 10 of them are). I use a 48" LED daylight (5000k) shop light :) So seems to be working!

I also like that their molt isn't as severe. We had a really good cold snap with the Arctic stream last week and I only see a few feathers here or there, rather than bald birds (note- no electricity in the coop long story but got a 12 gauge extension cord out there so no way to heat it and light it at the same time would overload circuit). Definitely going to keep on the supplemental lighting :)

Do they actually molt the first year? Mine are about the same age and there was absolutely no molting.

I just added an led light in the coop and run, but more for predator deterrant then laying.

Even without the light, the three that are laying, lay everyday.

Thanks. I turned th light back on a week ago. It’s plenty bright. I have 20 layers. A few are molting for sure. But out of 20 I’m only getting about 4 eggs per day. Birds are in their 2nd season.
So birds are about 18 months old?
How is your timer set?
They will/should still continue their molt, light should bring them back into lay sooner than without it. Adding protein, especially animal protein, will help with molt and condition.

Do they actually molt the first year? Mine are about the same age and there was absolutely no molting.

I just added an led light in the coop and run, but more for predator deterrant then laying.

Even without the light, the three that are laying, lay everyday.
First adult molt happens their second fall/winter.
Is your light on all night, lighting up the inside of coop?

First adult molt happens their second fall/winter.
Is your light on all night, lighting up the inside of coop?

No it's not on all night, they would never sleep.

I'm experimenting with different times. Work location and schedule is changing. Right now it's on longer at night. They were fully active last night until 9pm. We had decent weather and that will change soon enough.

So this morning I put the light on in the coop and not in the run. The barred rock came out and was scratching around in the dark without issue. Caught me off guard because everyone says they can't see in the dark and she was having a good old time.

No it's not on all night, they would never sleep.

I'm experimenting with different times. Work location and schedule is changing. Right now it's on longer at night. They were fully active last night until 9pm. We had decent weather and that will change soon enough.

So this morning I put the light on in the coop and not in the run. The barred rock came out and was scratching around in the dark without issue. Caught me off guard because everyone says they can't see in the dark and she was having a good old time.
Of course chickens can see in the dark, they just don’t see very well in the dark.:)

Back
Top Bottom