Lights in the coop question???

All lights are not the same. The picture featured on the opening page of this strand shows a fluorescent bulb; I wouldn't allow a fluorescent within a hundred yards of my chickens (lol) the emf damages the chickens DNA and fluorescent bulbs are the worst at doing that.

LEDs are the best answer, but you have to be careful with the temperature specifications of the bulbs that you use; the white light ones put out too much blue light; a temperature rating of about 3000 is the best that is readily available; the light is on the red side and is good for your fowl as well as the human caretakers. I removed all fluorescents from my house and replaced them with fixtures that are rated at a temperature for the bulbs of 3000.

Be careful that you do not purchase one of the new 'smart' bulbs; they put out RF radiation that connects to your smart phone and that is bad also.

The older fluorescents do have a flicker rate that can be harmful to birds, but the newer ones much less so if at all.

Bulbs should definitely be protected from the birds hitting them, maybe hardware cloth covering on tube fixture shades....or barn type fixtures for round bulbs.
My light sits on hardware cloth 'ceiling' in coop...handy.

I came across these and like them a lot. There are two versions. One is LED (Leviton 9850), the other is florescent (Leviton 9860, but NOT the 9860-B, doesn't have the polycarbonate cover). Not precisely cheap- they used to be considerably less -however- solves the impact dilemma- to my satisfaction, anyhow. I've got 2 above the chicken section of my coop and one above the people area (8x12) and it keeps our layers going. 3 years in on these and I haven't had to change a bulb yet.

https://www.leviton.com/sites/REST/...lpdf/9850-LED.pdf?products=9850-LED&locale=en

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-9860-LHG-Compact-Fluorescent-Ceiling/dp/B002ZPGQGK

I read that they need approximately 12 to 14 hours of day light to keep them laying, so I divide the light time with my timer so they get enough light to keep them laying. By December 21st (the shortest day of the year), their light comes on at 5am even though it doesn't get light outside until 7, and it stays on until 7 pm and it is dark by 5:30pm. I use a fluorescent bulb equal to 100 Watts and it provides plenty enough light for them to see getting to their nest to lay, or getting on their roost. Hopes this helps.

The sun here is setting at 6ish, maybe slightly earlier, sunrise at about 7:30, but my house gets the light late, so it isn't properly light until 8.
I have a timer set to go on at 3am, and I'll probably keep it there for another month or so then switch it to earlier. I have most of my eggs in the box before sunrise this way, and as soon as it is properly light they get to free range.
It works well for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom