Lights Out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Swamp Roo, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Hi all,
    At what age do people turn out the brooder light for night? I live in South West Florida, and in order to "lower" the temperature in my brooder by 5* a week, I'd have to put my birds in the fridge! [​IMG] The only reason I am leaving the light on at night now, is so the birds continue their eat, sleep, eat, rearange pecking order, eat, foul water, eat... routine (did I mention eat?). Thanks

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    That is a great question. My chicks are 6 and 7 weeks old, I switched to a 100 watt light bulb that hangs outside of their little coop. I removed the light today to put over the 20 cornish cross chickens I bought. (they have a 250 watt bulb). Anyway, my older chicks absolutely refused to go into their coop even though it was getting a little chilly and very windy. I had to find another extension cord in the dark and hang the darn light back up for them, they cheerfuly went in after that, but I wonder how long I have to keep the darn thing up. So, good question. Just how long do they need the light on at night?

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    My chicks in the house had a space heater at night so that i could turn the light off. I wouldnt try it somewhere you couldnt supervise though.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I was wondering the same thing. We leave our's on till we get home from work at night. It's only a 40 watt bulb. Try leaving it on till you go to bed then cut it off when you know they are secure in their coop.

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I never used light so it was easier for me. I just let the sun go down for them. It's natural.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by