Lights, Winter and egg laying

Quote:
I have a red light (for heat that I plug in when it gets cold) and an energy efficient light on a timer just for egg production.

I also use a red infrared bulb for heat,when I need it, and a compact fluorescent on a timer for more eggs.I just got my heated water bowl today and I hope it works.I'll find out in the morning.It's going to be a cold one tonight.
hu.gif

I just switched the two bright heat lights (only on during the day for egg production) to red ones that will be on 24/7 during this cold snap. I hooked some red ones up in my tractor as well when I noticed no one was coming down from the roosts
sad.png
Im not worried about chickisickles but we are getting down to 9 degrees tonight and I want them to be comfortable. I've been getting eggs consistenly from my birds in the coop with the bright light... Im hoping switching out to a red one won't change anything. I'll keep y'all posted.

Last edited:
01-08-09 10

01-09-09 32

01-10-09 20

01-11-09 16

01-12-09 12

DH lost the list from the next two days
sad.png

01 15-09 36

01-16-09 25

Ninnyl I am not sure....fluorescent...spell check did the right way
smile.png
I dont know if they will care or not. But if you happen to notice them partying (fighting, pecking each other etc) you might want to switch to an energy saving RED lightbulb.
Wings and chipper, those darn timers are worth their weight in gold
big_smile.png
. We can give them 12 - 13 hrs of daylight and still make sure they are getting enough sleep too!
Msbear, Wings and Chipper, I agree, the red heat lights for them to be comfortable. The temp here all week has been 0, with wind chills bringing it down to -18 at times.

I quit the light a couple weeks ago and am getting 14-15 eggs from 16 girls per day, crazy pullets! It's been snowing like crazy, so a lot of cloud cover.
My count isn't varying much day to day like yours. I will be curious to see what they do next winter, I'll bet I need the light all the time then.

I got an egg today
big_smile.png

I have been using their Ryobi "night light" for about a week, plus they have been out in the yard in the sun a lot. They are napping in a patch of sunlight right now

love.gif

Last edited:
I added 60 watt in both coops and went from 3- 5 eggs to over 2 dozen a day . So , lights do help increase production . Infact , I did atest , I turned off lights for 3 days and egg production was not as good ... So , back on they went
lau.gif

Yea Sylvie, I am curious to see what happens next year also. I am going to go half a winter with no light (but I do have windows and the run is enclosed) and see how it goes.
LOL Ummmm wifezilla, I dont want to hear about warm weather right now, I have 4 more months of cold and snow.
Of course, The lights here go out at 8.30pm. UNLESS it is at zero or below. Since I have so much frostbite right now, if it gets that cold, I leave the red heat bulb on all night.
LOL, do what you gotta do Cajunliz!

01-18-09 26 eggs
Plus here is my ROO, the con artist....He gets a warm footbath, nuts and seeds and a comb and wattles massage if he looks pitiful enough
gig.gif

Pdr_1151.jpg

One more, LOL
Pdr_1152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom