Lights, Winter and egg laying

Thank you for sending that to me. I read the whole thing and didnt see anything about the red light bulb. See, it is not the white light I am posting about, it is about the red light. This whole thing started as a WOW, look at the difference in the chickens attitude when I gave them the red light instead of the white.
BUT, gritsar brought up a good point and I may try nothing next year and see if there is a drop in egg laying.

I just put up a light yesterday. I've got 29 RIR hens and I'm getting 20-27 eggs a day pretty consistantly. I'm curious to see how long they can keep it up.

I'm using a 40w compact florescent on a timer. I have the light set up to provide indirect light (bouncing off ceiling) and to run from 6a-8a and 4p-6p over lapping dusk and dawn which is about 7:15a and 5:30p.

Quote:
I like your technique of having the light turn off during the day. I have been leaving mine on during the day because I had worried about dark, rainy days that are freaquent this time of year. My birds are in and out of the coop a lot on those days since I keep the food inside on those days. But, for energy saving sake, I had been wondering about having the light turn off for much of the lighted day. I hope you'll report back on your lighting technique and egg returns!

Does the light affect their disease resistance? I have noticed since I put a red light on my babies that they sleep more and are less active and eat less. Has anyone else noticed that? Jean

Good deal Michigan chickman, I also overlap the light into day and then start it before dark until after dark.

Sproutgirl, I wouldnt worry about the light on during the day, I wouldnt do it personally, not during the day.

UMMM crazyhen, I have not really noticed that. But mine have constant access to the run. I will let you know if I do notice tho.

Oh yea, 20 eggs yesterday, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom