1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Judiwafford, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Judiwafford

Judiwafford New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Can I leave the lights on all the time 24/7 in my coop? What will it do for the birds?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You certainly can, and it will increase laying - that is what commercial operations do.

However, it will lead to a less-than-healthy situation for your birds. It is normal for all creatures to have a "night" period, and think of how you would feel if the lights were left on all the time - tired, crabby, and more susceptable to infections due to stress. Chickens only need 14 hours of light for "normal" production. And leaving them a few months at the end of the year with shorter days seems to let them have a rest period before resuming laying.

I start adding light after the new year, about 12 hours a day total, by having a light come on in the mornings about 4 am. That allows the hens to have a normal twilight period where they can find their perches and settle in for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by