Like Ducks on Ice!

Kaw

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
Hi! We have ice, a lot, which our Induan Runners walk over...slip, slide, and flutter. My heart leaps as I worry they will splay their legs. Some days, I don’t let them out if the coop which isn’t healrhy either.

Have you found a material to offer traction? Hay I put down floats away.

I am looking at rubber mats which I can take up during a storm so they are not covered with ice too, but they all seem to absorb water...

Ultimately, I will make changes to their coop and yard so they don’t need to walk over ice next winter.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

I have been laying down straw in places where it's bad. I'm in SE PA. We have layers and layers of snow and ice this winter. I have ice blocks that I have taken out of their pool. My yard and pen will be a mess when it all thaws. ugh!
I live in SE PA too and yes, my yard and pen are going to be mess. Not looking forward to it. I've also been laying down straw to help. Looking forward to warmer, drier weather for sure!

I have stable mats in my horse stalls. They are so heavy I can't imagine moving them around very often.
I have shavings in my coop so when I clean it, I toss them into the run. I keep it spread around especially the icy areas where the ducks water supply is. Means a major clean up of coop and run come spring but the best solution I have found for my situation.

I'm in Arkansas, and we just got a huge snow (for us), with more to come. My ducks are terrified of the snow, and frankly they'd be up to their necks in it, so they're staying in. My concern is them not drinking water. I don't want to put water in there house for them to splash around just so it'll freeze and be worse for them. We put a bucket right outside their door, but that just freaked them out. Anyone have a similar experience? I've never had them go 24 hours without water before.

I'm in Arkansas, and we just got a huge snow (for us), with more to come. My ducks are terrified of the snow, and frankly they'd be up to their necks in it, so they're staying in. My concern is them not drinking water. I don't want to put water in there house for them to splash around just so it'll freeze and be worse for them. We put a bucket right outside their door, but that just freaked them out. Anyone have a similar experience? I've never had them go 24 hours without water before.
I don't have ducks yet, but I have chickens and we've had a ton of snow and ice the last few weeks. My chickens hate the snow and refuse to come out of the coop if I don't put a decently thick layer of straw out in the run. It works well as long as it's thick enough to not easily blow away or get pushed to the side. I just cleaned all the old straw out of the run to help it dry out since today it is warmer and there's quite a bit of melting happening. I'll put new straw in after the next storm hits later this week. I would imagine you could do the same with your ducks who don't like snow.

As far as water goes, my chickens don't have water throughout the night when they are locked up in their coop. I plan on doing the same when we add the ducks. Every day, when I go down to feed our sheep their pellets and get hay for them, I bring a bucket of warm water and replace the often frozen/dirty water that is in the run before I let the chickens out of the coop. We use a black rubber bowl for the water. When we get the ducks, I plan on keeping the water bowl behind a "duck shield" idea that I saw on Youtube. It prevents them from getting in it, spilling it too much, and making a mess. Don't know if any of this helps.

So nice to “know” someone else nearby! My froends keep asking..why ducks?
I don’t care so much that my yard is a mess if my ducks are safe. I can clean my yard.
The hay isn’t working because it flies every where, the first time they cross, leaving the ice exposed again.
It is nice to "know" someone nearby for sure!
I can't wait to get ducks. I'm counting down the days!
The straw has worked for me because I use a lot of it and it stays within the confines of the run. When my chickens walk on it, it gets more packed down and doesn't move around so much. They scratch and peck it so it does get moved around a bit, but not too much. I don't use hay because I have found it isn't as absorbent and the hay I buy for my sheep to eat costs more than the straw so I only use it as feed.

Back
Top Bottom