Like Ducks on Ice!

I'm in Arkansas, and we just got a huge snow (for us), with more to come. My ducks are terrified of the snow, and frankly they'd be up to their necks in it, so they're staying in. My concern is them not drinking water. I don't want to put water in there house for them to splash around just so it'll freeze and be worse for them. We put a bucket right outside their door, but that just freaked them out. Anyone have a similar experience? I've never had them go 24 hours without water before.

This is from yesterday during the heaviest part of the storm. Notice my dumb @$$ ducks all huddled on the ground outside instead of going into their coop or even the other two shelters we provided (with hay to insulate) to block the wind....

20210215_084326.jpg

I've decided that ducks are not the brightest animals...

I just walked outside to check on mine and see how they are faring. Out in the sunshine, its actually almost warm. I was surprised.... Then I go look at the ducks and they are all sitting in the same spot as my picture in the previous post. Outside. In the shade. :rolleyes: Dumb ducks....

As long as they're eating and drinking some, I don't mind them shutting themselves in for a few days. We have a second round coming tonight and tomorrow, but we should be mostly thawed out by Saturday.

Sounds like you are in the same snow storm as I am. Had to get my snowshoes on to take the dog for his walk. One side of the run is covered with tarp. Today the wind is from the other direction so there is a snow drift in the run.
From -20C last couple of nights to +1 next week. I like the sounds of that

I'm in Arkansas, and we just got a huge snow (for us), with more to come. My ducks are terrified of the snow, and frankly they'd be up to their necks in it, so they're staying in. My concern is them not drinking water. I don't want to put water in there house for them to splash around just so it'll freeze and be worse for them. We put a bucket right outside their door, but that just freaked them out. Anyone have a similar experience? I've never had them go 24 hours without water before.
How big is your ducks house? I do put 2 big rubber tubs of water in their barn, but I also put deep large plastic trays under the water bowls so that collects a lot of the splashed water. I also use a bird bath heater in their water tubs to keep from freezing.

Nothing, however, will prevent them from making a monstrous, poopy mess everyday. I’m going through a bale of straw every 3 days In the winter.

Back
Top Bottom