Like Ducks on Ice!

It's been double-digit-below-zero cold here, but my runner ducks continue to want water all the time -- which concerns me in the frigid temps. They will gladly climb into any water dish that's big enough for them to climb into.

There is an electric dog water dish in their shelter area, and to prevent them from using it as a pool, I've wedged a regular two-piece plastic poultry waterer inside the dish. Now, they can stick their bills in the water but can't sit in it. Even when they knock it over, it still blocks them from climbing into the larger dish.

A few days ago, before I inserted the plastic waterer, I looked out and Quinn, my duck queen, was happily sitting in the empty dog dish. Apparently, she was trying to warm her underside.

I won’t use any chemicals. Aside from their feet freezing, I would worry they might consume it.
Any ideas on what to do?

It's been double-digit-below-zero cold here, but my runner ducks continue to want water all the time -- which concerns me in the frigid temps. They will gladly climb into any water dish that's big enough for them to climb into.

There is an electric dog water dish in their shelter area, and to prevent them from using it as a pool, I've wedged a regular two-piece plastic poultry waterer inside the dish. Now, they can stick their bills in the water but can't sit in it. Even when they knock it over, it still blocks them from climbing into the larger dish.

A few days ago, before I inserted the plastic waterer, I looked out and Quinn, my duck queen, was happily sitting in the empty dog dish. Apparently, she was trying to warm her underside.
My Runner Ducks are very disgruntled about their frozen pond. They have taken to pacing back and forth on our cement deck!...which they prefer to walking on the hardened snow.
They jump in any water bowl and I worry about their feet freezing to a surface. I hear ya! I wish I had a solution.
We have been waiting 4 weeks now for duck shoes to combat Bumblefoot. Seriously expensive (the labor I am sure is worth it it) and we purchased 2 pair for the most severe cases.
Winter has been very long this year!

Pacing ducks on a cement deck sounds like a recipe for messes and disasters. Hope everybody is and stays okay.
Pacing ducks on a cement deck sounds like a recipe for messes and disasters. Hope everybody is and stays okay.
I agree. I have been doing everything I can think of to either keep them off or give them traction and protection.

Last edited:
My Quinn -- the runner duck queen -- developed her own solution for slick surfaces. She slides along the ice on her belly, using her feet like a penguin to steer. It's hilarious!

Hope yours are doing well. Convincing ducks to do anything for their own good is a formidable task!

We are actually getting some thawing this week -- followed by just enough overnight refreeze to make things a bit dangerous.

I can picture that...so funny!!
I have one that flutters her wings and almost floats on her ties like a ballerina; but I have 13 and they run in a group. For the most part they hit the ice like it’s new everyday. One following the other...the slip, slide, and fall on their chests.
The flock is so tight, that the ducks who follow rely on the front runners. If one gets too far behind and they all go into the coup; the one left behind (usually a younger duck) will usually stay outside staring through the wire asking to come in...instead of finding the door she has gone through many times.
Luckily the days are warming up, so I wait to let them out of the coop. It’s warm enough for the ice to thaw on the patio, but the yard is a block of frozen snow so they pace on the cement patio!! 🙁
Before Next winter I am building a large covered outdoor area attached to their coop. I asked this year and My other half said, they have the yard...so no and I didn’t see this coming.
Animals are adaptable though, even ducks...I lovecwhat your Queen came up with...so funny.
Can you post a video?

I am picturing your duck ballet, and it's great!

In my flock, Jan is the one who stands on the other side of the wire fence and seems baffled by why she can't reach everyone else.

I am also anticipating some construction to make next winter easier on all of us. Right now, the massive amounts of snow are becoming massive amounts of mud. Poor Quinn actually got stuck in the mud yesterday -- twice. I had to grab her (never a good experience for either of us) and rinse her off.

And, as far as video goes, still above my skill set!

Back
Top Bottom