lil giant forced air incubatore?

Bircheggfarm20

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 13, 2009
indiana
i got a lil giant Forced Air with egg turner i also got a old one that i will use for hatching. I have some questions on them. The temp needs to be set at 99.5 degrees is that for incubating and the hatching temp? chicks hatch in 21 days correct? And i will be hatching barred rock chicks when do i candle the eggs? To the set the humidty in the incubators it has 2 line fills on the side and one in the middle do i fill both and do i fill both in the incubator im hatching in? they also have the 2 red caps i do remove them at any time? the incubator im using for hatching is a still air one and i will just place the eggs on the wire rack do i need to do anything special to that incy i no to the place the eggs in that 3 days befor hatch? Thanks for your time

Quote:
The temp needs to be set at 99.5 degrees is that for incubating and the hatching temp? YES, if you have a fan. If you don't have a fan them it should be 101.

chicks hatch in 21 days correct? yes more or less, it all depends if your temp goes up and down.

To the set the humidty in the incubators it has 2 line fills on the side and one in the middle do i fill both and do i fill both in the incubator im hatching in?
Do you have anything to check your humidty? It should be around 40 to 50 for the first 18 days then up to 70 for the last 3 days.

Hope that helps.

2 red caps i do remove them at any time? I leave mine out the first 18 day and then put them in the last 3 days. It helps keep the humidty in.

I will just place the eggs on the wire rack do i need to do anything special to that?

I like to use egg cartons you have less of a mess or you could get shelf liner. You can get it at a dollar store and it helps them not slip.

The Red Plugs in the incubator For the one im incubating in do i keep both plugs in it this is a force air one. In the hatcher do i remove the plugs its a still air?

Quote:
the hatcher should leave BOTH plugs in as mentioned above, it keeps your humidity sustained. Now for the incubation period you can do both in or only ONE out. To keep me humid between 40 and 50 during the first 18 day's i leave the bottom plug in and the top plug out. BUT!!!! i take a piece of electrical tape and cover half of the top hole. This keeps my humid at 45%..PERFECT!!! With both in it sits at 52 "a lil too high"...but with the top one out...it drops the humid to about 38% a lil on the low side" The bottom red plug usually allway's stays in

I love my hygrometer. I bought them off ebay and one from the reptile section in PetSmart. I like the ebay ones better because they have the temperature on them too. And they were cheaper.

It puts my mind to rest to actually be able to see the humidity. Then when it gets a little low I just add a bit of water in from my water bottle. It is good for hours.

I have never taken the plugs out. I guess I don't really understand why people do. Is it to reduce the heat or reduce the humidity. Don't they both go down when the plug is out?

Quote:
The plugs are to increase ventilation. You should remove at least 1 of them after day 18. I usually have both plugs out and 1 hole partially covered to obtain 70%+ humidity for hatch.

Back
Top Bottom