Lilac call duck project progressing, slowly but surely

KateBeauchemin

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
If you were following my project before, I decided to open a new thread the other got clouded with... other stuff...

My lilac hen and my 'lilac' drakes (was unsure about color) from them I did get a few lilac hens, which will be great for next springs breeding program.

Pics are a bit light. (father's are light, original hen is a bit darker)

49478_lilacheneye.jpg

This hen on the other side has a bit of white eye liner around her eye like her daddy.

49478_261223_2040272079731_1032166610_2354083_508732_n.jpg

Hen 2, has white liner around bill like her daddy. (2 separate fathers)
49478_dscf4323.jpg

My splash hens made 100% splash babies with solid white bibs and bodies and speckled heads. So back to the drawing board.

Need to find splash boy... lilac preferred HA HA HA HA
PM me pics :)

49478_dscf4332.jpg

49478_dscf4328.jpg

49478_dscf4314.jpg

What is the breeding behind these? If I'm not mistaken, these are called Silver in the call duck world, at least that is what Darrel Sheraw (wrote the Call Duck book)called them. My son bought one from him last fall as a pet. They are a cross of a Grey to White which makes the "Silver" color.

The splash girls I do believe are BLUE and BLACK, I'd like a lilac splash drake.

These girls will be going in with the lilac boys next year, along with the lilac hens

LEMONS: I don't know what they are called, I am calling them splash, since noone has seen or shown me ones similar. I'm using chicken terminology for them.

I'd like to make Leopard calls, like my splash hens, my new project, like I need a new one.

Kate, I hatched out a baby from "up that way" that looks VERY similar to hen#2(picture 3).
She is a tad darker, but has that same chocolate bleeding through on the bib. She's a real stunner with a big mouth.
smile.png

The ducks in the last 3 pictures are adorable. Love them!
Silver, based on the UK standard, is the Snowy, here in the US-different variety than what Kate is working on.
http://poultrykeeper.com/call-ducks/the-call-duck/silver-call-duck-photos.html

The "Silver" that Dr Darrel Sheraw refers to in his book - The Call Duck Breed Book is the Color Lavender.

As an owner of a purebred Lilac Border Color. I am aware of what the color is, how it is obtained. But I believe the color that the poster is working with is "Silver ( Lavender ) Call" referred to on page 151 of Mr Sheraw's book. And since he is considered one of the foremost leading experts of Call ducks, I would be inclined to take his word for what to call a particular color, especially since we spoke in person. He also describes a a standard for the lavender call as well as defects on the same page.

Not trying to take anything away from the poster, but do they have a copy of this book? If not you may want to get one or better yet call Dr Sheraw & talk to him. He has been breeding calls & creating new varieties for decades.

Quote:
The name Lavender is the genetic name for that particular gene, the color is called Self Blue in the APA/ABA Standard Of Perfection, and thus is shown under the name Self Blue.

Wow! This is confusing:/

Here's my understanding of lilac/lavender/blue etc.

2 black genes turn all feathers black. They call this (obviously) black
Add 1 blue dilution gene, and now you have "blue"
Add another blue dilution gene, and you have "silver", or some call this "splash"

Now once you start playing with the brown dilution gene things get a little more complicated, becasue brown is sex-linked. That in addition to the blue-gene being incompletely dominant you could end up with a host of colors including lavender, lilac, black, chocolate, blue, and silver, all depending on whether or not your babies are male or female.

Genetically lavender is 2 black genes, 2 blue dilution genes, and one (in females) or 2 (in males) brown dilution genes. This color is generally very light and looks almost like a "dirty white".
And Lilac is 2 black genes, 1 blue dilution gene, and one or 2 (again, depending on sex) brown dilution genes. It is darker than lavender, and looks like a gray-ish brown.

Kate, in addtion to the black, blue, and brown genes, I think you may have a few other genes you're playing with as well, including maybe bibbed, and/or runner pattern, judging by the white around the eyes of your "Hen 2" and the little black speckled one. In addition, if there is indeed a blue-fawn in your ducks' recent family tree, then you've also got mallard pattern, and possibly a recessive non-black gene, either one of which may pop up in future generations.

2 lilac ducks will never breed true because of the inclompletely dominant blue gene. You will get Chocolates, lilacs, and lavenders from this cross.

However, 2 lavender ducks will breed true and produce only lavender offspring.

Lastly, I just peeked at your old post, and to my untrained and beginners eyes (keep that in mind), your hen in the second picuture is blue, and the 2 drakes are probably lilac. If that is true then all offspring would inherit one brown gene from the drake, and none from the hen. Since brown is sex linked, it would only show up (for the first generation) in the hens, producing chocolate, lavender, and lilac hens. The drakes would be carriers of the brown dilution gene, but physically would be black, blue, or silver.

Welcome to that very confusing world of duck color genetics!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom