Lime colored poop

Just thought id post an update. Thursday night I put him in the cage and started him on sulfa, it was obvious Friday he wasn't feeling good. He had his tail down, stopped crowing and just wanted to sleep for the most part. Fixed up some mash for him and made him some scrambled eggs and he ate that. Saturday his poop was better looking. only saw the lime green poop once and for the most part it was a lot more firm too. His whole attitude has since changed. He even started back crowing yesterday.

I believe he had some sort of infection be it enteritis or something else, whatever he had going on he seems to be back to normal behavior wise. His poop is much, much better too!
I'm so glad to hear he's doing better!

Thank you for the update. :)

So thought I’d update. I ended up putting this guy down last week. After a round of sulfa he seemed to get better then a couple days later went back to his same lethargic behavior. About a week after coming off the meds and we put him back on since it seemed to make a difference initially. His poop would come and go between the green and normal looking. On meds he seemed to be holding his own, had a huge appetite but was like he couldn’t get his energy up. I started giving the flock fermented feed in hopes that this may help one up their immune system. Despite his appetite and eating like a pig he continued to loose weight.

I’ve seen it before so, but was hoping with his age it was something different. I finally made the decision to put him down when he kept losing weight. He was part of my original birds so it was a hard decision. I moved my last remaining bantam boy into the bantam coop. It was a big blow.

So thought I’d update. I ended up putting this guy down last week. After a round of sulfa he seemed to get better then a couple days later went back to his same lethargic behavior. About a week after coming off the meds and we put him back on since it seemed to make a difference initially. His poop would come and go between the green and normal looking. On meds he seemed to be holding his own, had a huge appetite but was like he couldn’t get his energy up. I started giving the flock fermented feed in hopes that this may help one up their immune system. Despite his appetite and eating like a pig he continued to loose weight.

I’ve seen it before so, but was hoping with his age it was something different. I finally made the decision to put him down when he kept losing weight. He was part of my original birds so it was a hard decision. I moved my last remaining bantam boy into the bantam coop. It was a big blow.
:hugsI'm sorry to read this.

Sounds like you were doing everything you could for him.

Since you have Marek's in your flock, do you feel this was what was causing the wasting even though he was eating a lot?
Very sad indeed.

I really do, I’ve seen it with a couple others that I’ve lost, seems like it’s my older birds this happens too. My younger usually suffer paralysis and I’ve only noticed the occular form in my lf birds and that’s only been a couple. Seems I have the trifecta here.

I had planned to put him down that afternoon after I got home from work so I could open him up but when I went to check on them that morning he had fallen off the roost in the night and was huddled in the corner. I went ahead and culled him so I didn’t have the opportunity to open him up like I wanted. I suspect if I had he would have had growths from the Marek’s.

I really do, I’ve seen it with a couple others that I’ve lost, seems like it’s my older birds this happens too. My younger usually suffer paralysis and I’ve only noticed the occular form in my lf birds and that’s only been a couple. Seems I have the trifecta here.

I had planned to put him down that afternoon after I got home from work so I could open him up but when I went to check on them that morning he had fallen off the roost in the night and was huddled in the corner. I went ahead and culled him so I didn’t have the opportunity to open him up like I wanted. I suspect if I had he would have had growths from the Marek’s.
:hugs

Pretty sure it’s due to the Marek’s in my flock. Coccidiosis didn’t show up in a fecal float and I treated with sulfa (which also treats coccidiosis) in case of enteritis.

I believe the green was from him not absorbing the nutrients needed due to the Marek’s (probably tumors but can’t confirm) and he pretty much wasted away.

Back
Top Bottom