Lime, DE - how do I find the safe for chickens types?

Dobela

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
Arkansas
We have too many ants and friends have started putting DE on the ant mounds, which seems to be helping. They are buying a type in the lawn section of Lowe's but I don't remember how to know if it is safe for the chickens. In addition, we have snakes getting around the pool and garden. Mean snakes like copperheads and cottonmouths so I was thinking of putting down some lime so encourage their movement elsewhere. What kind of lime do I need to buy for it to be safe for the chickens? They are allowed free roaming time each afternoon and I don't want to injure them unnecessarily but I would love to encourage the ants and snakes to visit someone else.

DE comes in two types; there is pool grade which IS toxic and FOOD grade which is safe for chickens to eat, for us to eat and for our feline and canine pals to eat or be dusted with to prevent ants, fleas, ticks and other buggies! Here is a link so you can see what it looks like...http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Guard-Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade/dp/B002XMTXX8

Lime I have heard has a lot of great uses too, but keeping snakes away is not one of them. Sorry but there are 3 reasons why snakes come onto your property; they are passing through, they are looking for food or they are looking for shelter. Eliminate anything in your yard that will attract rodents or places that would be a good hiding place.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom