Limited nesting boxes and dealing with broody hens

SayChicken

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I have 7 pullets and plan on having only 2 nesting boxes. Seeing that I have 2 orpingtons im expecting that at some point I’ll have broody hens. I will attempt to break any broodiness but I’m reading it doesn’t always work. So …what happens if I lose both my nesting boxes to two broody hens? What if I had a third hen go broody, where would she go if there are no boxes available? …and where would the other hens lay if the boxes are full?

The question is, do you ever intend to allow them to hatch eggs? If not, then you will need to persist in breaking them every time they go broody. If yes, then you need to think about setting up a designated spot for one of them to brood and hatch eggs, and not allow any others to remain broody until those chicks are ready to be integrated.

The question is, do you ever intend to allow them to hatch eggs? If not, then you will need to persist in breaking them every time they go broody. If yes, then you need to think about setting up a designated spot for one of them to brood and hatch eggs, and not allow any others to remain broody until those chicks are ready to be integrated.
No I have no intention of letting them hatch out eggs. Small backyard flock so I can’t cater to that no matter how much I’d like to.

Have your broody buster ready to go and break them from being broody as soon as you confirm they are broody. The faster you break them the faster they get back to laying. I've had as many as three broody hens in my broody buster at the same time.

Each chicken is an individual so I can't give you guarantees. Many of my broody hens are willing to share a nest with a laying hen. Some broody hens share a common nest. It will likely not be the problem you think it will be. But only time will tell.

The question is, do you ever intend to allow them to hatch eggs? If not, then you will need to persist in breaking them every time they go broody. If yes, then you need to think about setting up a designated spot for one of them to brood and hatch eggs, and not allow any others to remain broody until those chicks are ready to be integrat
The question is, do you ever intend to allow them to hatch eggs? If not, then you will need to persist in breaking them every time they go broody. If yes, then you need to think about setting up a designated spot for one of them to brood and hatch eggs, and not allow any others to remain broody until those chicks are ready to be integrate
Have your broody buster ready to go and break them from being broody as soon as you confirm they are broody. The faster you break them the faster they get back to laying. I've had as many as three broody hens in my broody buster at the same time.

Each chicken is an individual so I can't give you guarantees. Many of my broody hens are willing to share a nest with a laying hen. Some broody hens share a common nest. It will likely not be the problem you think it will be. But only time will tell.
Hens going broody is the thing I worry about the most with regards to having chickens. I have been reading posts about breaking broody hens …what do you recommend as a ‘broody buster’? I’m worried about what happens if I’m not successfully at breaking their bloodiness. I’ve read posts of people worried about the health of their hens if they aren’t successful.

what do you recommend as a ‘broody buster’?
Give this article a read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/ - I do have a dog crate now but for months I've broken without one (by using anything that can house a bird away from the nest box) because I start the breaking process immediately once I confirm a bird is broody. I do have one bird that's a chronic broody, so she takes a little longer to break, but even then 4-5 days caged away from the nest will break her.

Back
Top Bottom