Limp got worse after bumblefoot removal

darlingdarla

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Laurel, Maryland
About a week ago I noticed one of my four year old hens limping. Upon inspection I found a small bumblefoot scab on the bottom of her right foot, four days ago I removed it, I've done this many times before. I soaked her feet in warm Epsom salt water to soften the scab and I cut around the scab with a scalpel and pulled out the kernel. It was a pretty large infection but it seemed to go well, I wrapped her foot with vet wrap after applying triple antibiotic ointment and let her go back with the flock like I always do.
Yesterday when I went out to feed them I noticed her limp was much worse than before, she could walk but very slow and clearly pained.
I changed the bandage immediately, but didn't see anything unusual on or around the scab (which was still forming and looked healthy).
I applied antibiotic ointment and wrapped her foot again. Today the limp is still bad, and now she's hesitant to walk anywhere.
I just changed the bandage and applied more antibiotic ointment, the scab looks a bit weird today ( pictures below) when I was finished I took a video of her limp, I gave her some treats and she perked up a little, then I gave her a pile of feed separate from everyone else.

Here is the thread about her reproductive condition- https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ness-need-advice.1299669/page-4#post-21195200

Here is a video of her limping and eating (sorry for the grainy quality)-

20200328_124323.jpg

20200328_124328.jpg

I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide, I've never had a limp get worse after I removed the infection and she's clearly in a lot of pain.

About a week ago I noticed one of my four year old hens limping. Upon inspection I found a small bumblefoot scab on the bottom of her right foot, four days ago I removed it, I've done this many times before. I soaked her feet in warm Epsom salt water to soften the scab and I cut around the scab with a scalpel and pulled out the kernel. It was a pretty large infection but it seemed to go well, I wrapped her foot with vet wrap after applying triple antibiotic ointment and let her go back with the flock like I always do.
Yesterday when I went out to feed them I noticed her limp was much worse than before, she could walk but very slow and clearly pained.
I changed the bandage immediately, but didn't see anything unusual on or around the scab (which was still forming and looked healthy).
I applied antibiotic ointment and wrapped her foot again. Today the limp is still bad, and now she's hesitant to walk anywhere.
I just changed the bandage and applied more antibiotic ointment, the scab looks a bit weird today ( pictures below) when I was finished I took a video of her limp, I gave her some treats and she perked up a little, then I gave her a pile of feed separate from everyone else.

Here is the thread about her reproductive condition- https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ness-need-advice.1299669/page-4#post-21195200

Here is a video of her limping and eating (sorry for the grainy quality)-

View attachment 2065422
View attachment 2065423

I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide, I've never had a limp get worse after I removed the infection and she's clearly in a lot of pain.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aspirin-dosing.1198396/ This is a link for aspirin for pain.
That foot looks re-infected to me. I would dig it all out again, fill with abx. ointment and re-wrap...

So today is the third time I've tried to remove this infection. She seemed to improve for a day after the second time before the limp got worse again. Today I did everything again and really tried to remove everything I could.
This was the scab before I removed it.
20200405_151725.jpg

This is her foot after I removed the scab and dug it out.
20200405_170319.jpg

I think I got all of it this time, but time will tell.

So today is the third time I've tried to remove this infection. She seemed to improve for a day after the second time before the limp got worse again. Today I did everything again and really tried to remove everything I could.
This was the scab before I removed it.
View attachment 2076564
This is her foot after I removed the scab and dug it out.
View attachment 2076573

I think I got all of it this time, but time will tell.
It looks clean, did you pack the hole with Neosporin ointment (w/o pain relief)? I do, then put a gauze pad over it and wrap with vet wrap.
Fingers crossed for you :)

About how long will it take for me to see an improvement in her limp?
She was in a lot of pain today, she still gets around and jumps up and down from the roosts, eating, drinking and maintaining her position in the pecking order, but her limp is pretty severe. I think it's worse today because of how much I dug out her foot yesterday.
I wrapped it again and applied more antibiotic ointment today, I'm praying this was the last time I needed to do this, I don't know how much longer she's going to last with her reproductive disorder and I really want her to live out her last few months in peace.

About how long will it take for me to see an improvement in her limp?
She was in a lot of pain today, she still gets around and jumps up and down from the roosts, eating, drinking and maintaining her position in the pecking order, but her limp is pretty severe. I think it's worse today because of how much I dug out her foot yesterday.
I wrapped it again and applied more antibiotic ointment today, I'm praying this was the last time I needed to do this, I don't know how much longer she's going to last with her reproductive disorder and I really want her to live out her last few months in peace.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aspirin-dosing.1198396/
This thread tells you the dosage of aspirin for a chicken.
Is there any way you can stop her from jumping etc.? All that exercise is going to aggravate healing. I have found that they usually start healing within 4-5 days.
You could try taking a look at the wound after 4-5 days - remove the bandage - if it looks goopy, soak her foot in an Epsom salts bath for about 20 min. re-apply ointment and re-wrap.

I too was thinking she may have come off of the roost funky or that the pain upon landing with a freshly doctored foot may have made things seemingly worse.
I was also thinking that she may have shifted her weight to ease the pain of her foot and is now using muscles in a way that she's not accustomed to; causing muscle fatigue.
Just ideas

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aspirin-dosing.1198396/
This thread tells you the dosage of aspirin for a chicken.
Is there any way you can stop her from jumping etc.? All that exercise is going to aggravate healing. I have found that they usually start healing within 4-5 days.
You could try taking a look at the wound after 4-5 days - remove the bandage - if it looks goopy, soak her foot in an Epsom salts bath for about 20 min. re-apply ointment and re-wrap.
I can't get any aspirin, all the stores near me have been sold out.
I could have her sleep in the second coop, it dosen't have roots just lay boxes.
Should I not change the bandage every day?
I too was thinking she may have come off of the roost funky or that the pain upon landing with a freshly doctored foot may have made things seemingly worse.
I was also thinking that she may have shifted her weight to ease the pain of her foot and is now using muscles in a way that she's not accustomed to; causing muscle fatigue.
Just ideas
Thank you, her foot is definitely a little better today.

She is limping a little less today and definitely seems more energetic. The wound hasn't scabbed over yet the insides of her foot are still exposed. I cut off her bandage, applied more antibiotic ointment, and wrapped her up again.
Here is her foot today.
20200407_122104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom