Limping chick

Kpearson1005

Hatching
May 15, 2023
I have a 3 month old chick that is limping. She was vaccinated for Mareks at 1 day old. She has always layed down more than the other chicks, but I just noticed the limp yesterday. Her toes still curl just fine and the leg does not seem paralyzed. Just wondering if anyone has ever had vaccinated chicks get Mareks symptoms. I do have a mareks positive flock, but have not had any sick birds in the last 5 yrs since I started vaccinating. I am just not sure if I should assume Mareks or treat her for an injury. Other than the limp she is doing just fining and growing well like she should.

What is her living quarters like? Anything that she could have cut herself on? Do you have any roosters that could have hurt her?

Just wondering if anyone has ever had vaccinated chicks get Mareks symptoms. I do have a mareks positive flock, but have not had any sick birds in the last 5 yrs since I started vaccinating
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes.. the vaccine requires 2 week quarantine to set up.. and that's if it's administered properly.. but also different serums have different efficacy on top of knowing that the vaccine only hides symptoms but allows the disease itself to proliferate out of control instead of possibly killing itself off or developing more naturally resistant birds (genetics matter). Some good details in the following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I find it VERY difficult to achieve a true quarantine in my own home on only an acre of land, when Marek's is said to travel up to 3 miles on the breeze.. and I've seen the dirt cloud from the ladies bathing going HIGH into the sky/air. I also have dogs coming and going and I bring grass in for our guinea pigs.

Have you felt for any heat or swelling in the leg or foot? I wouldn't presume it to be Marek's but definitely think of it as a possible consideration.

I'm curious, just for fun.. the ones that lay down extra here are always boys.. is yours a girl for sure?

Hopefully she's just got a little injury and recovers quickly! :fl

Back
Top Bottom