Limping chick

Bcline21

Hatching
May 14, 2024
Hi, all!
One week ago, we got some chicks from tractor supply. We noticed immediately one was missing a toe. I was doing my night check on them, and she has begun limping. She’s staying semi near the others, but I did notice her sneak away and lay down. It was brief, but concerning. I read in some other posts here I should clean it with iodine and separate her with one of the others to a smaller brooder? Is this the correct course of action? Should I provide a heat source if so? I’m not sure how old they are, honestly. My husband bought them and didn’t ask questions, apparently. They’re losing the baby fluff on their feathers. I’ll attach a picture of the bunch today for reference. These are our first chicks, and I’m very nervous.
IMG_8616.jpeg

I think separating her with a heat source would be a good idea, so the others don’t pick on her. Was there blood on the chicks toe? If there is other chicks will start picking at it.

I think separating her with a heat source would be a good idea, so the others don’t pick on her. Was there blood on the chicks toe? If there is other chicks will start picking at it.
No, there’s never been any blood but the stump where her toe should be is swollen now.

Does she have a friend? Make sure it's the right one to separate her with. That's interesting though. Maybe you can soak her food in a small cup with a dash of Epsom salt? I really don't know just offering a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom