Limping Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puddlejumper, Sep 15, 2010.

1. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    I have a chick who is around 11-12 weeks old and has developed a limp. I've checked for a wound and can't see anything. My three new chickens free range during the day and are in a rabbit cage, covered with a tarp and up on a table at night. She seems to be leaning, but I think maybe that's cuz it hurts for her to bear weight on her foot. My neighbor, who also has chickens, said that there is a disease with symptoms like this. I was hoping that sometimes they just get hurt and need time to heal. When should I become concerned that it could be more than that?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Keep an eye on the feet for something to develop. Could have caught a toe or a nail in the wire?

3. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Pay attention to how she limps. Is she limping b/c of foot or leg or thigh? If she puts her whole foot down she might have just bruised her thigh. I had a pullet that age that limped for about 1 month b/f she got better. I made sure she was able to eat and drink b/c she wanted to lay around alot and the others would run her off from the food. She is fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by