Limping Chicken....if something is going to go wrong it's going to be Garnet.

Idaho Chicken Bungalow

Crossing the Road
Jul 23, 2021
Southern Idaho
Good morning, I went out this morning and noticed my Penciled Plymouth Rock hen laying on the ground and not running after me like she does most of the time. She did get up like she wanted to but limped and laid back down. Stood up again and did a little preening. Going back to yesterday I saw her sitting in the cool dirt thinking how smart she was because it was 95 degrees.
~Honestly, I forgot to lock them in last night because of my dog freaking out over the fireworks. I was comforting her in the house and fell asleep.
Particulars: no bumble foot, I checked her legs all the way up to the body on both sides.
She was able to give this fat ole' gal a run to try and catch her
She is isolated, with water and food (which she ate like crazy.) She laid an egg yesterday and the day before.
When I turned her over, she had no feathers on her tummy. it was slick like being dry and had red in certain areas. Not blood. Not sure if this is normal. The no feather thing was also a thing when she had the prolapsed vent.
My thoughts: she's always under foot and possibly got stepped on my VERY blind dog. She also could have jumped off the roost with a thud and hurt herself.
Thank you in advance!

Good morning, I went out this morning and noticed my Penciled Plymouth Rock hen laying on the ground and not running after me like she does most of the time. She did get up like she wanted to but limped and laid back down. Stood up again and did a little preening. Going back to yesterday I saw her sitting in the cool dirt thinking how smart she was because it was 95 degrees.
~Honestly, I forgot to lock them in last night because of my dog freaking out over the fireworks. I was comforting her in the house and fell asleep.
Particulars: no bumble foot, I checked her legs all the way up to the body on both sides.
She was able to give this fat ole' gal a run to try and catch her
She is isolated, with water and food (which she ate like crazy.) She laid an egg yesterday and the day before.
When I turned her over, she had no feathers on her tummy. it was slick like being dry and had red in certain areas. Not blood. Not sure if this is normal. The no feather thing was also a thing when she had the prolapsed vent.
My thoughts: she's always under foot and possibly got stepped on my VERY blind dog. She also could have jumped off the roost with a thud and hurt herself.
Thank you in advance!
It's possible she just sprained a muscle if nothing feels off.

This is what I'm thinking. They play around and scratch in the roosting/laying coop and I've noticed they jump down with a thud. I was just out there, she was pulling her left foot up occasionally. Oh, and she was doing her high-pitched sneezing. She has always been a bit of a Primadonna. This is my medicine cabinet

Attachments

• 289048614_1620903644959590_4393270001844653450_n.jpg
    289048614_1620903644959590_4393270001844653450_n.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 0
This is what I'm thinking. They play around and scratch in the roosting/laying coop and I've noticed they jump down with a thud. I was just out there, she was pulling her left foot up occasionally. Oh, and she was doing her high-pitched sneezing. She has always been a bit of a Primadonna. This is my medicine cabinet
That's probably how it happened. Do you have a ramp up to your roost bars?

Back
Top Bottom