Limping chicken, what to do?

newchickenmom33

Songster
Jun 4, 2018
I have a 9 month old Barred Rock that started limping yesterday afternoon. When I saw her in the morning she was fine after lunch she was not. I check on the bird at least three times a day, I’m new to this and I’m sure provide unneeded additional attention.

So seems to stand with one leg up and only places it down to limp around or for support while eating or drinking.

I’ve looked at the foot and leg and nothing appears to be different from the other.

I’m not sure if I should confine her to a dog kennel with separate food and water to give her time to heal or just wait and watch. How much time will she need? I’m guess she somehow injured it.

One of our hens did this - she must've jarred/twisted her leg getting off the roost or something. She took a month to 6 weeks to come right but she's fine now. If there's no visible signs of anything being wrong then she must've injured it somehow. I'd leave her with the rest of the flock because separating her would cause more stress as well as cause her to lose her place in the pecking order, which could make reintegration difficult. Just keep an eye on her and hopefully she'll come right.

One of our hens did this - she must've jarred/twisted her leg getting off the roost or something. She took a month to 6 weeks to come right but she's fine now. If there's no visible signs of anything being wrong then she must've injured it somehow. I'd leave her with the rest of the flock because separating her would cause more stress as well as cause her to lose her place in the pecking order, which could make reintegration difficult. Just keep an eye on her and hopefully she'll come right.
Six weeks, oh my. Alright then. I’ll look at her everyday to make sure nothing changes. She’s young so hopefully it’ll fix itself sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom