Limping Chicken

Reflectivepants

Hatching
Aug 6, 2016
My Rhode Island Red Bantam has been limping for about a while now, we took her to the vet and the doctor said it was a pulled muscle, since that visit i cant really tell if her limp is better or not, she doesn't eat much, or drink much and when i hold her she seems just really, really weak. I'm almost 100% sure shes not egg bound as for some reason Rhode Island Red Bantams mature very slowly shes about 6 months old, still pretty sure this breed of bantam lays very late, as i have had another chicken of the same breed and she did not lay eggs for about a year. still it could be egg bound, but that would be very unusual as her friends haven't started laying yet either.

Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions please leave them down below.

My Rhode Island Red Bantam has been limping for about a while now, we took her to the vet and the doctor said it was a pulled muscle, since that visit i cant really tell if her limp is better or not, she doesn't eat much, or drink much and when i hold her she seems just really, really weak. I'm almost 100% sure shes not egg bound as for some reason Rhode Island Red Bantams mature very slowly shes about 6 months old, still pretty sure this breed of bantam lays very late, as i have had another chicken of the same breed and she did not lay eggs for about a year. still it could be egg bound, but that would be very unusual as her friends haven't started laying yet either.

Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions please leave them down below.

Welcome to BYC.

If she pulled or strained a muscle it can take several weeks for it to heal. If you haven't done so, limit her activity by putting her in a kennel inside the run with her own food and water.

What type of food are you giving? Since she hasn't started to lay eggs, then if you are feeding layer pellets, you may want to give her some chick starter or all flock/flock raiser feed - this is higher in protein and lower in calcium. She may also benefit from some poultry vitamins that contain B2(riboflavin). If you can't get a higher protein feed, then give her some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat to boost protein.

If she were truly "egg bound" (egg stuck) this would have taken her out within 48hrs. or so if not taken care of. It's possible she may have an internal laying problem, but if the vet feels like it is a sprain, then I would go with that diagnosis for now and try giving her a boost in nutrition first.

Let us know how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom