Limping chicken?

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
I have a 15 week old bantam porcelain D'uccle, Dorcas Galen. I noticed earlier that she has a slight limp in her right leg. I see nothing obviously wrong with her foot or leg, and no bumble foot. I am about to set up a temporary home for her to monitor her food and water intake as well as look at her poop to make sure it is normal. I don't think it is anything serious, probably only a sprained ankle, but I just want to be sure. Thank you for any help! She is a sweet girl!

Either it's a sprain, which should improve, otherwise if it continues to worsen you may have to consider Mareks unfortunately.

Yes, that's what I was thinking and that is why I am setting up a separate area. I really hope that isn't what it is! This is my first flock and I absolutely love them :) thank you for the help! I will be posting updates and possibly pictures later.

So, she is sitting on my lap on the front porch warming up because she was getting cold and I offered her some dried mealworms. She ate some witch is good and I will put her in her cage in a little while. I think she is enjoying the one on one time with me because it is a bit rare with 35 chickens. She pooped, and it was a bit watery, but I think that is because it was pretty hot today for the mountains. Other than that's it looked normal. I hope she will make a full recovery so she can go back to her normal day activities.

Do you think I should leave her in her cage all alone for that long? She was already low on the pecking order and I don't want her to get picked on a bunch. But I also want to be sure whatever it is isn't contagious before I put her back in the coop.

If it's Mareks, my experiences has been that it shows up in a bird here or there, usually the young ones. They say they are contagious, but my take on it is if there's one showing symptoms than all have already been exposed and have either developed immunity or they will eventually show symptoms too.

It can come in on wild birds and the wind. Mareks is kinda everywhere. I never separate, but will cull when it's more apparent, usually they become more and more unsteady and paralyzed. Stress can make things worse. If it was mine I would leave her with the flock and see how it goes. You should know in a week or so as usually Mareks progresses fairly quickly once it shows. A sprain will stay the same or slowly improve.

I was just reading some older posts and someone said that their feathers could break off causing discomfort. She has very feathered legs, so this could also be a reason for the limping. I will give her a epsom salt bath tomorrow and see how she feels. If she seems to be feeling better, I will probably put her back in the coop with the others.
Here she is in her cage with some scrambled egg. She is such a sweetheart
IMG_4087.JPG

I have 3 older d'uccle roosters, thankfully they never had foot feather problems. They can be uncomfortable if they got bent or pulled wrong. She's a cutie, I love the breed and color.

Back
Top Bottom