Limping chicken

PeckyMcCluckin

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
I have a 5 month old hen who I noticed limping this evening that wasn’t this morning. I don’t see any wounds. Our rooster who is about to leave is kind of rough. Idk if she landed funny or if he was too aggressive with her. But I’ve isolated her in a dog kennel in the garage with a fan and food and water. She’s obviously not happy about being alone. Idk if our kennel is big enough to put a friend in with her. See picture.

What else can I do for her? How long should I let her rest isolated? Nothing looks out of sorts.

Attachments

• 5B1A5FCF-D060-4F30-9912-B7E449ADDA04.jpeg
    5B1A5FCF-D060-4F30-9912-B7E449ADDA04.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 9
She is the barred rock. I took her out and put her in the run with just one other hen who was laying. She went in and laid an egg and wouldn’t walk a ton. She was putting weight on the foot. I let her out in the yard so that she would move more. You can see in the video she is hobbling. Yesterday she literally was hopping on one foot. I am thinking the rest and roosting low where she didn’t have to jump up or down much may have helped. I am considering putting her back in the kennel this evening and then see how she’s doing. Maybe just strained something?

She is the barred rock. I took her out and put her in the run with just one other hen who was laying. She went in and laid an egg and wouldn’t walk a ton. She was putting weight on the foot. I let her out in the yard so that she would move more. You can see in the video she is hobbling. Yesterday she literally was hopping on one foot. I am thinking the rest and roosting low where she didn’t have to jump up or down much may have helped. I am considering putting her back in the kennel this evening and then see how she’s doing. Maybe just strained something?

Our rooster who is about to leave is kind of rough.
Love Barred Rocks!
She's not looking too bad, I do see the little skip there.

She probably suffered a minor injury or if your rooster (cockerel?) is rough with the ladies, he may have chased her down(?)
Keeping her from roosting high for a few days would probably help the leg. I'd consider letting her with the hens during the day. Maybe remove the rooster if he's causing issues.
I really like roosters, but sometimes they have to be managed especially if young. It's easier on the Gals to keep the girls together (less drama with integration) and move the Fella(s) to a separate area.

1/4 tablet B-Complex given to her for a week may help with leg support as well.

Love Barred Rocks!
She's not looking too bad, I do see the little skip there.

She probably suffered a minor injury or if your rooster (cockerel?) is rough with the ladies, he may have chased her down(?)
Keeping her from roosting high for a few days would probably help the leg. I'd consider letting her with the hens during the day. Maybe remove the rooster if he's causing issues.
I really like roosters, but sometimes they have to be managed especially if young. It's easier on the Gals to keep the girls together (less drama with integration) and move the Fella(s) to a separate area.

1/4 tablet B-Complex given to her for a week may help with leg support as well.
Thanks she’s back to just standing on one foot. Poor thing. She’s such a sweet gal. They mainly roam when we are home and it’s not a huge property so we are going to get rid of our cockerel he’s aggressive with them and our children and he’s now coming at me. I may try and get another one that is similar aged to our ladies that has a calmer demeanor or I’ll just let them range and help monitor them.

I’ll try to keep her low I may have my husband help me move our dog kennel into the floor of the coop so that at least she will be in with everyone else. i think I have some b complex if not I’ll go get some today.

How long should I wait until I see progress? Meaning at what point should I be concerned she’s not healing on her own?

A sprain may take a couple of weeks to heal.

Caging is one way to keep her from roosting. I'd see how she does. You may find that she paces or gets agitated being caged during the day, so if she self limits and the others don't pick on her, during the day I'd consider letting her out.

Cockerels can be a pain. They can be even worse if the girls are the same age. Mature hens will usually put a cockerel in his place and he learns some manners. So...you may want to wait until your hens are mature and get a young male and let him "grow up" and earn his place/win them over. Or find a mature rooster that someone wants to let go.
BUT, do ask questions if you are getting a mature one, the people may be getting rid of him because he's not nice.

There really are some nice roosters out there.

Back
Top Bottom